Question about Solid Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozman

Occupation
Electrical
Ok guys I found this awesome thread about solid conductors...So I’ve ran into some sort of answer debate here I need helping a question from practice exam . “What is the minimum size solid conductor permitted to be installed in a raceway?” now I’ve searched everywhere and I’m hearing 2 different answers. One is 10awg and the other is 8awg,so which is it?
now the answer in a practice exam say 8 but my

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ok guys I found this awesome thread about solid conductors...So I’ve ran into some sort of answer debate here I need helping a question from practice exam . “What is the minimum size solid conductor permitted to be installed in a raceway?” now I’ve searched everywhere and I’m hearing 2 different answers. One is 10awg and the other is 8awg,so which is it?
Are you sure that it doesn't say maximum size solid?

ozman

Occupation
Electrical
I’m sure it say minimum. So that’s why I’m a little lost. I’ve looked everywhere The most common answer was 10awg but this practice exam Answer is bothering me

Attachments

• FBF48A28-FCC2-4A69-B763-F3C39BC09390.jpeg
    FBF48A28-FCC2-4A69-B763-F3C39BC09390.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 24

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can assure you that either the question is incorrect or the answers given are incorrect.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This question has been wrong for quite some time..

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Ok, now I am confused. Is #10 stranded permitted in emt? In pvc?
Sure !
Like ozman I find the question confusing.... There are some minimum sizes mentioned in the Code but #10 or #12 don;'t fit that bill.
I would vote on an error in the question and base the answer on 310.106.
Stranded Conductors.Where installed in raceways,conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be stranded.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If this is Mike Holt's material there is usually a list of errors either for questions or answers. These lists are made up after the reporting/discovering of the errors. Since the material is already sent out, there is no way to change it so they publish a list of errors with the corrections made. I feel certain the OP's question fits that narrative.

ozman

Occupation
Electrical
Ok well thank you guys For the reply’s. If it does show up I’ll choose 10awg. Hope it’s right. Can you appeal a question if it cost you that one point to get passed? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.