Question based upon 2017 Code in LI NY: WHAT COLOR IS THE IDENTIFIED CONDUCTOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

That's a term I haven't heard used since I was back in apprenticeship school. I'm not aware of its use in the code in recent years, but I can answer your question.

I looked in the index, and the only reference to "identified" was in the definitions section, about equipment.

It has always referred to the grounded conductor, whether by colored threads in the wire strands, ridges molded in the insulation, or the use of white insulation.

Jack Herrick

1 Detroit Road Huntington Station NY 11746
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

That's a term I haven't heard used since I was back in apprenticeship school. I'm not aware of its use in the code in recent years, but I can answer your question.

I looked in the index, and the only reference to "identified" was in the definitions section, about equipment.

It has always referred to the grounded conductor, whether by colored threads in the wire strands, ridges molded in the insulation, or the use of white insulation.
Larry is the answer WHITE?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Could be multiple things. But start at 200.6 and 200.7. For questions like this, it really helps to have a pdf version of the NEC that is searchable. The word "identified" shows up 657 times in my 2014 version.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Could be multiple things. But start at 200.6 and 200.7. For questions like this, it really helps to have a pdf version of the NEC that is searchable. The word "identified" shows up 657 times in my 2014 version.
Is there a use of "identified conductor" in there?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NO! The question is: "What color is the identified conductor"?
That is a terrible question but Yes the white, neutral can be an identified conductor but there also can be other conductors that are identified also. The equipment grounding conductor is identified, the high leg on a delta system is identified. The question is not answerable but my guess is "white " is the answer they are looking for.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Searching for exactly "identified conductor" finds it in the index in two places. One under "cord, identified conductor within" which sends you to 200.6(C), 250.119(C), 400.22, and 400.23. The other is under "Identification, flexible cords" with the same section references.

Conductor coloring usually says finish. The word "identified" seems to always be in the context of a grounded conductor. So I'd say the answer is white or gray.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry is the answer WHITE?

NO! The question is: "What color is the identified conductor"?
Yes, unless they're referring to something totally abstract.

White in the sense that, other than green (which is relatively new thing), anything other than white is considered to be presumed to be an energized conductor.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
URD the identified conductor is black with a yellow stripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.