Question Concerning Meter Base Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I think I know the answer but want some assurance before going to bed.:)
I gave a parts order to a guy at a S/H. One of the items was a 100A meter base. I just noticed he gave me a 200A base. I need to start early in the morning and don't want to have to make a trip to the S/H and delay my job.
Since the house has a 100A service, can I use the 200A meter base?
I figure it's like sizing wire, you can go up in size but not down. Is this correct, or am I making an unwanted trip in the morning?:happysad:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I gave a parts order to a guy at a S/H. One of the items was a 100A meter base. I just noticed he gave me a 200A base. I need to start early in the morning and don't want to have to make a trip to the S/H and delay my job.
I figure it's like sizing wire, you can go up in size but not down. Is this correct, or am I making an unwanted trip in the morning?:happysad:

Of course you can. can't you put a 20 amp OCPD on a #10 wire? you can always do better than the code, just don't do less than minimum.

ceb58

See no problem except the extra cost.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Of course you can. can't you put a 20 amp OCPD on a #10 wire? you can always do better than the code, just don't do less than minimum.

That's the way I as thinking, but didn't want to make an early morning trip. I never know what some of the POCOs around here would accept. They have some strange requirements on some things

See no problem except the extra cost.

I will have them adjust the price if there is any difference since I specifically requested a 100A base. I have seen them be the same price at some places.

Rewire

This is a utility issue and not an NEC one ,a meter is not required by the NEC. Our utility is looking to require 200 amp bases for all installations last year the started to require horn bypasses on all residential meters.

masterinbama

Did a storm damage repair the other day. Used a 2.5" mast with 4/0 AL to a 200 amp meter socket then fed the existing 100 amp panel.

Got a puzzled look from the inspector until I explained that the panel upgrade was coming when the HO decided on her new addition layout but since a tree had wiped the old 100 amp out we went ahead and got that part out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.