Question for California Electricians - No more 100 Watt Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The energy independence and security act of 2007 will prohibit manufacture of common incandescent lamps, starting with the 100 watt lamp in California on Jan 1, 2011. The other 49 states have until Jan 1, 2012.
Whats the word from our California electricians on this? Are you
Switching to CF?
Switching to halogen?
Going across the border to get your incandescent fix?

California has some pretty tight energy standards, perhaps this is not an issue.

For more information and a good handout for your customers see this paper from NEMA
http://www.nema.org/prod/lighting/upload/Lighting_Options_for_Your_Home_brochure_4web.pdf

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The incandescent is still available probably till the supply runs out. One thing i have noticed is light bulbs are rated differently instead of 60 it is 57 instead of 100 it is 95 , 75 it is 67. Will manufacturers keep making incandescent bulbs that are rated differently? or Incandescent bulb will be totally gone?

Electric-Light

Philips EcoVantage 75W makes 1500lm. It's almost there, but it's just a hair over their wattage limit for 100W replacement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting - I suspect it does not mean the end to incandescents but an end to 100 watt bulbs. So they make a 95 watt bulb and it is compliant.:)

Electric-Light

Interesting - I suspect it does not mean the end to incandescents but an end to 100 watt bulbs. So they make a 95 watt bulb and it is compliant.:)

No, it has to use no more than 73 or 72 watts, but produce the same amount of light as legacy 100W bulb, which is around 1600 lumens.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No, it has to use no more than 73 or 72 watts, but produce the same amount of light as legacy 100W bulb, which is around 1600 lumens.

Thank you. I guess that won't happen with incandescents without some type of reflector in the bulbs. Heck once LED gets cheaper then CFL's will be gone.:):)

Electric-Light

Thank you. I guess that won't happen with incandescents without some type of reflector in the bulbs. Heck once LED gets cheaper then CFL's will be gone.:):)

Like I said, Philips EcoVantage is ALMOST there, which employs miniature halogen lamp inside secondary standard household lamp shaped bulb. Using infrared-reflection coated bulb, you can meet the goal.

In their marketing literature, they do not mention halogen. I suspect its to protect the brand value of their top tier halogena brand that advertises halogen technology.

There are special application low-voltage reflective-coated bulb that's nearly twice as efficacious as a standard 120v 100W lamp.

9011 halogen-infrared 12v automotive lamp is rated produce 2350lumen at 65W achieving 36lm/W, which is more than twice that of standard incandescent. The filaments are driven very hard and it is ~3500K. The life is only 320 hours, but it is fine for automotive applications.

Where power usage means more than anything, like in automotive application where wattage is limited by regulations on headlights, or videography equipment where battery power conservation is at utmost importance, they have their place.

Incandescent lamps are more efficient at lower voltages (to a point) and I'm not sure what the optimal voltage for efficiency is, but the reason is the ability to use thicker single wound filament.

12v is more efficient than 120v. 240v European lamps are even worse than 120v lamps we have.

The technology is there to get twice the efficiency using incandescent filament we're getting from 100W 120v A-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.