Question for instructors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I am sure some of the instrucors that frequent this site use power point presentations. Do you have a rule of thumb when preparing a presentation that helps you decide how much time will be consumed in your presentation? Such as X amount of slides per hour?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Question for instructors

The first time through it goes fast, as I don't know the material. The time depends on the material and what detail. I use Mike Holts material and try to use graphics over text. I don't have an answer at the moment, I'll look at some of my presentations and find out how long they are.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I'm going to start an 8 week grounding class based on the Soares book and the NJATC workbook tonight. Tonight is mostly basics and review and I hope to cover about 90 slides in a 3 hour class. The other class nights will involve more detail and also review of homework assigments so in those classes I expect to cover about 40 slides a night.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I am not an instructor by trade, but I could teach a course on teaching a course. Let me offer my opinion of what is the single most important technique for instructors. I remember it as the ?70/20/10 rule,? but I may be remembering the title (and the exact numbers) incorrectly. I do not know its source, so I can?t give credit where the credit belongs.

The mission of an instructor, naturally enough, is to convey information to the students. But how much will they retain? The rule says this about the impact of an instructor?s presentation: </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">70% of the impact comes from visual signals (e.g., slides, props, hand motions, walking around the room, and pointing at something on the slide).

20% of the impact comes from verbal signals (e.g., changes in tone, inflection, emotion, and volume, and judicious use of pauses).

10% of the impact comes from the actual words you choose to speak.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
As to visual signals, use them to re-engage the students? minds, to keep their thoughts from wandering away, to bring them back to the subject. Don?t go more than 20 seconds without using a new visual signal. It can be a simple and subtle as a nod of your head, a wave of your hand, or a shrug of your shoulders. It can be as dramatic as looking directly at one student as if you were speaking only to that person (the others will be paying attention, for fear that they will be next). And please, when you speak about something on a slide, don?t look at the slide any longer than is necessary to find, and point to, the thing you wish to discuss. Talk to the audience, not to the slide.

As to verbal signals, we have all heard monotonous speakers. Don?t be one.

As to the words you speak, please understand that all of your professional experience and knowledge can help you choose the words, but it is still only worth 10% of the impact. A person who just stands and talks throws away 90% of the potential impact, and shouldn?t expect to get much of the remaining 10% either. NOW HEAR THIS: If you put up a slide, and leave it there, and talk for 10 minutes, then after the first 20 seconds you are throwing away 90% of your potential impact!

Back to your original question. How much time per slide? It all depends on how much information you put on each slide (less is better) and how frequently you intend to call attention to something on the slide (more is better). As a general rule of thumb, I would not keep a slide up for longer than one minute. If you need to talk longer, then turn off the slide, or walk away from the screen. Give a clear visual indication that you want them looking at you, and not at the slide.

Best wishes,
Charlie

p.s. On behalf of your future students, I have a request. If by chance you possess one of those ?laser pointers,? then please perform a ?float test? on it. That is, drop it into a river, to see if it will float.

Ed MacLaren

Charlie B has it pretty well covered.

A few more things, learned over 36 years of teaching, that I would recommend -

1. Use your visuals as "talking points", don't duplicate the text on the screen verbally. In other words, don't read the text on the screen to the learners.

2. Don't try to cram too much info (especially text) onto each slide. Use the slide for diagrams, graphics, etc.

3. Don't expect to hold people's attention for more than one hour (at the most) between breaks.

4. Use a bit of humor here and there to put the learners at ease, but don't try to be a comedian. They see lots of professional comedians on TV.

God's gift to instructors is the interactive whiteboard. We used the SmartBoard. It permits you to control your computer by touching the screen, and you can "mark over" the graphic on the screen, among it's many features.

For example, you can bring up any application from your computer, including web pages.
Display a basic diagram and add to, or complete, it by drawing on the screen with a "marker", and then save or erase the "mark-ups".

More info here -Smartboard

Ed

[ March 10, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

ryan_618

Thanks for all your help guys. I taught my first class today and it went pretty well. I have a few more to do by the end of the month, and I'm trying to get the hang of it.

Thanks again :)

pierre

I have learned from a course exactly what Charlie, Ed and Tom have said.
My two cents.
My teaching experience with electricians from the field has been an eye opener. THEY NEED VISUALS, THEY NEED TO SEE WHAT IS WRITTEN AND SPOKEN. Take a pile of material on the floor and ask them to install it and Wa La it is up.
Now ask them to 'see' theory or code and they may have a difficult time at best to understand. I use a lot of pictures that I have taken, this really helps. There are two reasons it helps. Pictures speak a thousand words. The pictures are of local work and they can relate to them better.
Research your presentation, and make sure the information you present is accurate.
The size of the class also has a lot to do with how you present.

Good Luck Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.