Question for those in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Now that the 2011 is slated for adoption in July, I have started to look it over. How is Florida dealing with the plastic vapor barrier and ufer ground now that the information clause stating footer steel can not be used and a grounding electrode?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The addition of the Informational Note to the 2011 code is not a code change. It is just making it clear that if you are using a concrete encased electrode that the concrete must have direct contact with the earth. A vapor barrier under the concrete prevents the concrete from having direct contact with the earth.

The direct contact with the earth has always been the requirement, but a number of code users did not clearly understand that requirement so the Informational Note was added.

bphgravity

The 6-mil polyethylene vapor retarder that is placed between the base course or subgrade and the concrete floor slab, as required by the Florida Building Code, is used to retard vapor transmission through the floor slab. There is no requirement for footings, grade beams, foundation pads, or stemwalls to have a vapor retarder below or along the sides.

That being said, if the design professional / builder chooses to have the vapor retarder extended beyond the floor slab and under the portions of the foundation that qualify as the CEE, no CEE is present and therefore not required to be bonded to the GES.

I have rarely ever seen a vapor retarder used below stemwalls or footing pads. And while I often see the vapor retarder extended down into the footings on monolithic slabs, I have rarely ever seen it taken back up on the exterior / outer side of the footing.

Cavie

I agree, common sense says the sides of a mono slab are exposed and never completely covered to the grade level. I just assumed someone would put that in writing and stop all the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.