Question of safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bthielen

I have found myself in a bit of a sticky situation. I'm quite sure I know the answer to this question but I am compelled to ask anyway.

Yesterday, a coworker began asking me questions about pulling some wires in his home to the main service entrance panel for the purpose of supplying an in-home business (hair salon). His questions were very vague and I am convinced he is not even close to being qualified to wire this business.

I told him that he needs to hire a contractor to do this work for a few reasons including it is the law in Minnesota that wiring for a business establishment requires a licensed electrician regardless whether it is in his residence or not. He understood that we are allowed to do our own electrical work on our own residence. I told him that in either case, it is required that he has the work inspected and that he files the appropriate affidavits. I tried to tell him that there are a lot of things to consider, especially with a hair salon, and failure to do this right not only puts his own family at risk but potentially every customer.

I did what I could to muddle things up by talking about derating, use of conduit in a business, GFCI protection, recalculating his residence load to be sure his service is adequate, etc. I doubt I got through to him. He is one of those that will do it himself to save the money and his pride will not allow him to admit that he just may not know what he is doing. He claims he has the code book, although I know it is out of date. He also has one of those do-it-yourself books for house wiring.

If I report this, he will know it was me and I work with him daily. Therein lays my dilemma.

Any suggestions how I might be able to convince this individual to have it done the right way and not his way without offending him?

Bob

haskindm

Tell him to check with his insurance company to see if he will be covered if someone gets hurt or a fire occurs due to uninspected wiring being installed by an unlicensed person.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
bthielen said:
If I report this, he will know it was me and I work with him daily. Therein lays my dilemma.
OK, first the simple and truthful answer to your specific question is this: "You have nothing to report."

You have no factual information to give to any authority. This coworker spoke of desires and intentions and plans and considerations and costs and a host of other things. But he did not explicitly state that he is presently engaged in an activity that you know to be in violation of local codes or laws. You have nothing to report.

That's the easy part. Now for the tougher part.

I believe that if you did have factual information, you would be obliged to report it. If for example he told you that he had started this project, that he is doing it himself, and that he is not getting it permitted or inspected, then professional ethics, if not local law itself, require you to report it.

So here's the easy solution. Tell him right now, in no uncertain terms, that if you ever found out that he was in violation of the law, you would report him. Tell him this before he has a chance to start the project. Make it clear that, despite your relationship as co-workers (and maybe as friends, though you did not use that word), your first duty is to safeguard the health and safety of the public. Make it clear that you will not tolerate a situation in which the safety of the public will be placed at risk, and that you owe it to the public to take action to protect their safety. Make it clear that if he wishes to place the public at risk, you will not remain standing silently nearby.

Put the burden where it belongs: on him. If he wants to do this job, and chooses not to tell you anything more about it, then your conscience can be clear, because you gave him a clear warning. If he wants to do this job, and he does tell you about it, and you do report it, and he does get in trouble for it, then your conscience is again clear, because you told him up front that you would report it.

One final possibility, and this depends on how much you value him as a coworker or as a friend. You have the option of volunteering to do this job for him, at whatever rate you think is appropriate (full cost, half cost, material cost only, do it for a bottle of your favorite bourbon, whatever).

One more thing: The fact that you posted this question in the "Safety Forum" tells me that your heart is in the right place. Do not be concerned about doing the right thing at the risk of a coworker's good opinion. In this situation, you are the one wearing the "white hat," and he can choose what color of hat he will wear.

Last edited:
B

bthielen

Thanks, Charlie.

There is a change of attitude in the last day. He has indicated that perhaps he will contact a licensed professional. Maybe I'm getting through to him after all or he's just blowing smoke to quell my suspicions.

One point. I am not a licensed contractor myself so I am not qualified to do the work for him so that is not an option.

I again today reiterated what our state requires and allows him to do and he does seem to be tilting in the right direction. I sure hope so.

Thank you again,

Bob

celtic

bthielen said:
...for the purpose of supplying an in-home business (hair salon). ....
I am convinced he is not even close to being qualified to wire this business.

Any suggestions how I might be able to convince this individual to have it done the right way and not his way without offending him?

Bob
Suggestions w/o offending him?
Probably none.

My opinion...
In NJ hair dressers are required to be licensed...so are doctors, lawyers and ECs.
There is no "nice" way to tell him that what he is doing is ILLEGAL.
A HO is allowed to do work on their SFH - but this guy's in-home business crosses the line.
I would feel confident saying the in-home business would also not be licensed.
This guy( and/or his wife) is looking to make a buck while saving a buck.

My only "suggestion" would be for him to call my "good friend" who does this sort of stuff all the time...unfortunatley for this "guy", my "good friend" is the AHJ who flags this stuff all the time.
Guess that would be offensive :rolleyes:

B

bthielen

I have read the state statutes I found at the Minnesota Board of Electricity website and I didn't find anything specifically forbidding it yet. The coworker I referred to did call the county and they affirmed that he was required to have it inspected but was not required to hire a contractor to do the work so long as it was in his place of residence. I know he called because I overheard him during his lunch break.

At this point, I must assume that he will at the very least have it inspected. I sent him a copy of the statutes and one thing is certain, knowing him he will read the entire thing.

Bob

realolman

I think you have done enough.

I would not report anyone for something such as this, and I don't think you would be under any obligation to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.