Question on Art. 312.5C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Out here in Colorado, the electrical inspectors permit a 2” or 2 1/2” pvc male adapter to run all our branch circuits through and into the branch circuit panel board. We install the all- in - one meter/ branch panel on the outside of the houses about 80 percent of the time. I know according to the NEC this is a violation, but like I stated earlier permitted. What would be another way of securing your type NM cables to a panel board like this that would be acceptable to this article and inspectors in general? Just curious on the thoughts out there! Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is, IMO no way to make that work unless you come into the back of a trough in the crawl space. To try and punch individual holes into the back of a panel would leave an incredible mess of the siding. BTW, it is allowed here in NC

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree! One of these days I expect to run into some opposition with this type of install though and was hoping for some ideas to keep in the back of my mind. I does make things potentially difficult!

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think in future developing of the new codes pertaining to electrical installations on single family dwelling , that there be an exception or exceptions pertaining to the electrical equipment installed on the outside of the dwelling. A lot of companies are trying to save money by installing only one piece of equipment verses multiple pieces. I can definitely understand this rule pertaining to indoor equipment and installations of individual branch circuit panels verses the outdoor install, where it could and would create a challenge to most electricians not wanting to damage the siding of the house. Thoughts??

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Out here in Colorado, the electrical inspectors permit a 2” or 2 1/2” pvc male adapter to run all our branch circuits through and into the branch circuit panel board. We install the all- in - one meter/ branch panel on the outside of the houses about 80 percent of the time. I know according to the NEC this is a violation, but like I stated earlier permitted. What would be another way of securing your type NM cables to a panel board like this that would be acceptable to this article and inspectors in general? Just curious on the thoughts out there! Thanks
I would still do it the way you know its written or have been taught, 1 connector for 1 maybe 2 NM cables then either tack them to one side stud, I suppose 4 wide leaving roughly 3/4" clear of either outside edge of stud. sometimes I would use a stripped outer sheathing of a 12-2 jacket support it to the stud then wrap each vertical branch wire with one to two tight wraps then do the same all across the panel then staple the other side to tighten it up or put in a horizontal block on edge and staple to that, I'd never do the 2" connector to run all the branches into, besides there is a heat issue and no supportive properties at the entry point .. just a thought

macmikeman

We have to use meter/main all in one setups for where I live also, except the typical thing here is to use one of the 4/8 circuit meter/main combo cans , and put 2 double pole 100 amp breakers to feed two interior load center panels. Those are sub panels, so of course we carry along an equipment ground with the feeders if it is cable or pvc conduit to the sub panel. And....... I put an equipment ground thru any conduit run anyway regardless of metal or no metal these days since for about twenty five years now. If you think about it, I bet you could just put the same deal together with your branch circuit meter / main panels, just don't remove any of the rest of the knockouts, and maybe put labels to not use the remaining spaces........... The 4 / 8 space meter/mains are a heck of a lot cheaper than the type you are using though........ I label the outside 2 pole breakers with the supplied service disconnect stickers and usually describe their loads as panel 1, panel 2 etc.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I purchased a 1920 house that had the electrical panel on the outside, which is common. The ecisting 200 amp panel had a LB below that nippled in to the crawl space I removed that and

I went out the back of the panel with 1 1/2" nipples, into an 18" long 4x4 wireway.
From the wireway it was up to the attic or down to the craw with runs of NM. I installed a ground bar in the wireway with one 6 AWG EGC to the panel.
Code compliant...makes it easy to get a lot of runs into the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.