Question on Color code High Leg Delta 3 phase

Had a discussion after investigating a vandalized building where alot of the copper was stolen damage done etc.. Its a 3 phase high leg delta. system 120/240 B phase 208 phase to ground (orange color). A phase is Black, B phase is orange, C phase is blue. A sub panel was also damaged as well and of course uninvited guests stole alot of the copper.

As they got ready to replace it, it was only using the A and C phase for the sub. I was trained to always keep the colors consistent as possible in a building. So since its just A and C phase the branch circuits were black and blue wiring. Another guy said well since the sub panel was just a single phase coming in it wold be Black and red.

The black blue color scheme was to ensure that one knew it was only the A and C phase in this area being used, and also give indication of a possible delta high leg up stream as a person would stop and think they only used the a and c phase here for a reason. Also I cant recall the NEC code article but it does mention about identifying the voltage systems in the building, what was that article ?

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
408.3(F)(1) is relative to your installation.
You may be referring to 210.5(C)(1) , which is not reall relative to your installation as not more than 1 voltage system on premises.

Another guy said well since the sub panel was just a single phase coming in it wold be Black and red.
Bonkers.
Keeping feeder colors the same wherever they go is good practice. OTOH, I might wire a branch circuit with black/red (or red/purple, etc) and not think much about.
I don't think 210.5(C0(1) applies assuming the building has a single 240/120 delta service - "More Than One Nominal Voltage System" - albeit with two voltages..

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Had a discussion after investigating a vandalized building where alot of the copper was stolen damage done etc.. Its a 3 phase high leg delta. system 120/240 B phase 208 phase to ground (orange color). A phase is Black, B phase is orange, C phase is blue. A sub panel was also damaged as well and of course uninvited guests stole alot of the copper.

As they got ready to replace it, it was only using the A and C phase for the sub. I was trained to always keep the colors consistent as possible in a building. So since its just A and C phase the branch circuits were black and blue wiring. Another guy said well since the sub panel was just a single phase coming in it wold be Black and red.

The black blue color scheme was to ensure that one knew it was only the A and C phase in this area being used, and also give indication of a possible delta high leg up stream as a person would stop and think they only used the a and c phase here for a reason. Also I cant recall the NEC code article but it does mention about identifying the voltage systems in the building, what was that article ?
It “could” be black and red, but then again he could use ivory plates on white devices also.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bonkers.
Keeping feeder colors the same wherever they go is good practice. OTOH, I might wire a branch circuit with black/red (or red/purple, etc) and not think much about.
I don't think 210.5(C0(1) applies assuming the building has a single 240/120 delta service - "More Than One Nominal Voltage System" - albeit with two voltages..
You are correct, that is a single nominal voltage system and the conductors are not required to be identified by phase and voltage. Of course the high leg must still be identified by orange or other effective means, but the other two phase conductors can be any color other than white, green, or the color or method used to identify the high leg.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Just submitted this "Public Comment" on my "Public Input".

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE - Public Comment Section 200.6(A).pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 13
  • NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.4(C) Proposed Amendment.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 5
  • NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.6(A) Proposed Amendment.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 5

Birken Vogt

Any colors other than the specified white/gray/green/orange colors are acceptable and presumed as hot.
The first link in MtnElect's proposal says the color stripe should only be black, red, blue, brown, orange, or yellow. I was just suggesting that any stripe color would be acceptable. In fact gray and white stripes should be allowed too since we are talking neutrals here. The only one to leave out is probably green.