question on driven ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyjr55

Can anybody tell me if i made a boo boo? As about 2 years ago i drove 2 ground rods for a home elec service and ran from the elec panel a #6 thhn to one ground rod and a #6 thhn to the other ground rod from the elec panel as the plumber was replacing the copper pipes in pex. The elec inspector was looking around at what i did and passed it but said up in the east end of the city the electricians up there would run a #6 thhn to one driven ground rod and then from that ground rod a #6 to the other ground rod.

Did i do anything that was wrong?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can anybody tell me if i made a boo boo? As about 2 years ago i drove 2 ground rods for a home elec service and ran from the elec panel a #6 thhn to one ground rod and a #6 thhn to the other ground rod from the elec panel as the plumber was replacing the copper pipes in pex. The elec inspector was looking around at what i did and passed it but said up in the east end of the city the electricians up there would run a #6 thhn to one driven ground rod and then from that ground rod a #6 to the other ground rod.

You did fine. You don't need to run thhn thus a bare copper wire would be okay. Normally I run one bare #6 and loop from one rod to the other with no splice but your way is code compliant also.

nakulak

wasted a few feet of copper wire

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As you can see, no, but you did waste a bit of labor and materials.

Normally I run one bare #6 and loop from one rod to the other with no splice but your way is code compliant also.
Just for info, only the wire to the first rod need be unspliced. A separate piece (with separate clamp) could be used to jumper to the second rod.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just for info, only the wire to the first rod need be unspliced. A separate piece (with separate clamp) could be used to jumper to the second rod.
This I know but then you have to use another clamp. I like the idea of a continuous piece-- one less thing that can go bad.

resistance

Strangely enough, I recall a few guys talking about inspectors red tagging them for running one EGC from the panel to each rod. This was years ago (before my company). I believe the argument was: it wasn't a continuous run. Something of that sort. My mind isn't clear on the issue, because it was so long ago.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Strangely enough, I recall a few guys talking about inspectors red tagging them for running one EGC from the panel to each rod. This was years ago (before my company). I believe the argument was: it wasn't a continuous run. Something of that sort. My mind isn't clear on the issue, because it was so long ago.
As long as each one is continuous, it's compliant. I once ran an unbroken GEC from rod to disco to disco to rod.

The inspector took about 10 minutes to decide it was okay: each disco saw two rods.

radiopet

that was not clearly defined until the 2008 NEC. Just keep in mind it is the GEC and not the EGC we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.