Question parallel conductors

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 6-#3 awg conductors plus #6awg gnd between fire pump controller and fire pump that is 40HP, 208V three phase.

I did research minimum size parallel allowed is #1/0 awg and ampacity derating apply for more than 3 current carrying conductors.

However, I am not able to find this:
Can you parallel in one conduit two sets of #3 awg or not?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You cannot parallel #3 AWG condcutors but you did say a fire pump and many fire pumps are Wye start/Delta run so there are 6 conductors between the controller and the fire pump.

So then it may not be paralleled? I dont follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So then it may not be paralleled? I dont follow
Are you familiar with Wye start/Delta run motors? They have 6 conductors from the controller to the motor. You need to confirm the type of fire pump controller that you have. If it's Why start/Delta run the conductors are not normal parallel conductors which are required to be #1/0 and larger.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To expand on Rob's last post, the six conductors of a wye start delta run do not carry current at the same time. Three will be energized at start up and drop out after the motor has reached a running state where the other three will take over.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To expand on Rob's last post, the six conductors of a wye start delta run do not carry current at the same time. Three will be energized at start up and drop out after the motor has reached a running state where the other three will take over.
I don't understand.
The six conductors are the two ends of each of the 3 windings. In the wye start, one end of each winding is connected to the power source and the other ends are shorted together at the stater to create a wye connection.
For the delta run, each end of each coil is connected to the power source to create a delta connection.
In both cases, all six conductors carry current.
1710350707304.jpeg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's correct. Wye start/Delta run conductors are sized at 72% (58*125%) of the running motor current for that reason. All six carry current it's the configuration that changes through the starter.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't understand.
The six conductors are the two ends of each of the 3 windings. In the wye start, one end of each winding is connected to the power source and the other ends are shorted together at the stater to create a wye connection.
For the delta run, each end of each coil is connected to the power source to create a delta connection.
View attachment 2570539
You are correct, I should have said "full load current"

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the explanation. The above would matter for ampacity adjustment.

But for the OP's question, the point is that in neither case are the load end of any two conductors directly connected together, so never do you have two conductors in parallel in the 310.10(G) sense.

Cheers, Wayne

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks for the explanation. The above would matter for ampacity adjustment.

But for the OP's question, the point is that in neither case are the load end of any two conductors directly connected together, so never do you have two conductors in parallel in the 310.10(G) sense.

Cheers, Wayne
I think that's the "clue". With the wye/delta they are not parallel conductors.