Question regarding Use of Fiber Conductor for a fire alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheaney

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I have a question that I can’t seem to find a specific answer to in NFPA70 or NFPA72. I attempted to search this out on the internet and still could not find anything, but noticed a number of Mike Holt webpages associated with the NFPA 70 and 72 code and figured I would reach out to you directly to see if you could help.

I am involved with a fire alarm system installation, and a fiber optic cable is being installed between a fire alarm control panel and a main fire panel. The panels contain multi-mode network cards, however the project has progressed with the installation of single mode fiber.

Rather than run a new multi-mode fiber cable, the installer has identified an existing multi-mode fiber cable (unrelated to this project and not a fire system cable) that is routed conveniently in the location that has spare fibers. They are planning to use a spare multi-mode fiber for the communication link between the two panels.

Is there any NFPA requirement that would restrict using one of the spare multi-mode fibers (from the existing cable) for this fire alarm system install?

I can’t find anything.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.