Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Personally, I like thinking about it as:
(1) Emergency Disconnect, Outside at the Meter
(2) Service Disconnect, Inside at the Main Breaker Panel
(3) Intermediate Conductors are still "Service Entrance Conductors."

But again, still relatively new to the concept of an Emergency Disconnect at the Meter.

Still brings up my original question... would an LB or Junction Box used in this case... positioned between the Meter and Main Breaker Panel, containing the SE Conductors, have to be SUSE (Suitable For Use As Service Equipment) rated?

Or is it JUST the Meter and the Panel that have to be SUSE rated? Nothing requiring the conduit bodies (or junction box) to be?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

But again, still relatively new to the concept of an Emergency Disconnect at the Meter.

Still brings up my original question... would an LB or Junction Box used in this case... positioned between the Meter and Main Breaker Panel, containing the SE Conductors, have to be SUSE (Suitable For Use As Service Equipment) rated?

Or is it JUST the Meter and the Panel that have to be SUSE rated? Nothing requiring the conduit bodies (or junction box) to be?
How could a junction box or LB be considered "service equipment"?
So SUSE is only for a panel/disconnect.

Plus, there's the fact that you have to land the conductors to a OCPD nearest point of entry. That is undefined as to the distance and is the AHJ's call. Most will not allow much, such as 5' or so. If you have the service outside, you can run unlimited inside. And as Larry stated, nothing preventing you from having a main breaker inside along with the actual main outside.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician

Is there a requirement for a conduit body be service rated? Not from my knowledge, but don't know much. What is the intent or rationale for boxes to be service rated?
I've been puzzled about this new requirement as well as we haven't had the requirements for an exterior emergency disconnect here. So have been wondering what makes the difference between calling it emergency disconnect and not service disconnect, and its implications onto the interior connections? Does one allow three conductors and continue bonding of N/G on inside panel, or does it, no matter how it's done, now require 4 conductor and bonding at the ED not the interior panel, essentially making it a subpanel?
It sounds as if installer has option of calling the ED either service equipment or non service, and putting appropriate stickers on it. But what makes them different?

Jerramundi

Occupation
You're certainly allowed to have a redundant second main breaker inside, regardless of service vs. feeder conductors.
Yea. I'm just having a hard time thinking of it as "redundant."

To me, the breaker on the outside is the "redundant" one, but I'm used to thinking of the overall system from a contractor/residential home owner perspective, not that of an emergency first responder.

The idea of a homeowner running out to the meter to throw the service disconnect in an emergency sounds like a Far Side cartoon to me, lol.

Jerramundi

Occupation
How could a junction box or LB be considered "service equipment"?
So SUSE is only for a panel/disconnect.
Yeah, I'm starting to think I extracted this idea of "Suitable for Use As Service Equipment" from a few other, different sections of code... like you said, for the panel and disconnect.... and assumed because it was between those two (i.e. the meter and the panel), the same requirement applied.

Somehow I've subconsciously starting creating the idea that everything from the service point down to the main panel had to be "Suitable for Use As Service Equipment." :D

So any old junction box would be suitable between the meter and panel on relatively typical 1P Residential OH Service?
That is, one that is sized appropriately for the large conductors??
(Obviously different for interior/exterior)

Last edited:

Jerramundi

Occupation
@Little Bill Would there be any type of jumper required if a box was used?
Say two bonding bushings with the right sized jumper betwixt them? Excessive??

I was always taught that that bond to the threaded end of the SE / Feeder Conduit was particularly reliant on the continuity of the conduit between the panel and the meter, which is accurate... but mid points like a junction box makes me a little unsure.. Then again I suppose we use conduit bodies every day. Makes me curious about conduit body testing/rating for fault current, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.