Question to Find the Right Software?Oilfield(industrial)/Utility Pole Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulse_electric

hello all,

Which software if any of them available today focus on the oilfield(industrial) and utility pole line construction. i found a lot of the software offered is only residential and commercial and i have yet to find any for industrial or utility pole line so if anyone knows of software anywhere the help would be much appreciated. The only other idea i had was start from scratch with a spread sheet and go from there. any good ideas or thoughts would be helpful as well.

Thanks
Jeff

cadpoint

Welcome!

Your software desires is or would be quite enique. In most drawing, this information can be
listed or tagged within a CAD drawing with the use of either whats called a cell, a block,
or whatever the data sheet (excel/ open office) aspect that can be attached to the drawing.

I can think of several ways you could use an * excel type accounting for linear work, but no
I haven't written any.

MicroStation have been used by State DOT's and Larger Electricial Company's and some agency's of the Government for years. Both this software and AutoCad both sell "industrial"
and commerical land development, secondary software packages. Site Works
is one name I remember. These are not cheap software and far from low end.
You can input most Cad software to many various packages, but the two mentioned are
the genereal work horses, and you can't use the Lite version of either to maintain the
complex aspects that might be in a drawing. I'm sure there is a few other brand names
but not many.

If your trying to account but not engineer the work, I strongly recommend what use to be
called a data base expert. You need to just *. get some insert software with an excel spead sheet inferface.

If your going to draft on their work, draft on existing drawing, compose your own drawings in whatever manner you have to know the rules, of your State. You don't want to be engineering without a license. This could be based on dollar or type of work your doing.

Ask around find out what everyones using. Maintaining & keeping whats in produced in the drawings is key the less translation the better.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

mgookin

hello all,

Which software if any of them available today focus on the oilfield(industrial) and utility pole line construction. i found a lot of the software offered is only residential and commercial and i have yet to find any for industrial or utility pole line so if anyone knows of software anywhere the help would be much appreciated. The only other idea i had was start from scratch with a spread sheet and go from there. any good ideas or thoughts would be helpful as well.

Thanks
Jeff

Hello Jeff & a very warm welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

A little more information on the project you are working on and your scope of work on that project will help us to help you. The more info we have the better we can assist.

For example, do you have to design & build a system of poles & aerial conductors to run 5 miles and need to do the structural on the poles, the voltage drop calcs to select your transformers, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.