Questions/Suggestions for new forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the webmasters;

Suggestions:

1. A generic category

2. A button to mark everything as "read" :D DONE: in the profile area.

3. Add "occupation" and "years in..." to member info visible with posts :D CHEAT: see my post, add the info to the "from" field in your profile

4. A way to send email to posters/members

Questions:

1. Is there any way you could provide an area for binary files to be uploaded for use in the threads? I'm concerned that if someone posts a reply and links a picture/graphic in it, and the external file is later deleted, the info is lost. A way to capture all the pictures from the old board would be nice too.

2. If the old posts are not goin to be migrated to the new board, is there any way we can get copies on CD or download them? :D Done, in the archives category

3. Do you need/want help in categorizing the old threads so they can be added to the new board? :D OBE

[ February 27, 2003, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: dellphinus ]

jtb

Re: Questions/Suggestions for new forum

These are great ideas. I know I frequently scrolled through old posts, and was participating in active threads that are now gone.

Len_B

Suggestion for topic reorganization into new catagories:

1)Engineering and Electrical calculations*

2)Power quality, Stray voltage, Lightning/Surge and EMF

3)Safety, UL, OSHA, other codes(70E, 79, et al), compliance, etc.

4)Management and Contracting(*perhaps electrical calc belongs here--not with engineering?)

5)Communication, Fiber Optics, Low voltage, power limited, etc.

6)Exam preparation, Licensing, School questions, Andre's quizzes :D

Len

edits: spelling and rethinking

[ February 22, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Len_B ]

hurk27

One more:
incorperate to old threads or at least a link to them some where in here maybe the last year of them. As others have said there is a wealth of infomation that would be lost forever.

Thom Peterson

I think there should be fewer catagories. All the catagories makes it more difficult to read everything. Adds confusion to where I have been, etc. If I need to find information on a subject all I need to do is perform a search. Make it simple.

jgriffin

DELL,.... I'm curious ,for those who re-registered with user names(not easily identified by others),and wished they'd used something else,is there a way for them to edit or change user names? I'm thinking This option may simplify the forum discussions a little. ;) .Joe.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Joe,

I wound up doing just that. Once I got here and found that my login name was locked, I realized that I wanted it different. What I did to fix this requires two email addresses. (I used one from a free service.)

I went to my profile, unsubscribed to everything in the newsletter section, then I changed my email address to my "other" email address. With that done, I re-registered using the login name that I really want and the email address that I want to use here.

I figure I'll send a note to the webmaster to remove my old listing if he wants to. . .but if he doesn't, I've set all those preferences to "no contact".

jgriffin

AL,.... The Reason I asked was quite a few people were asking who's who. Figured maybe a few may want to change user name to something familiar to us. Thanks. :) .Joe.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I agree, Joe.

And, unfortunately there is a second reason. Seems that some hacker(s) have been stirring up mischief, not just by posting garbage on the old board, but by also registering people to this board for them, and not doing it respectfully.

The good thing is, the security vulnerability that permits the mischief is sealed by the use of this new bulletin board.

hurk27

I did find a better way to keep track of my post. and it does keep them by date order. but I wish Danny had a way to keep the date updated to the newest post instead of just when I posted. but here it goes:

go to the top of this page just under Post A Reply you will see five things you can click on I.E. my profile, directory, search,faq, forum home. now click on directory it will take you to a little page that lets you see all kind of stuff like who's the most talkative lol well anyway put your user name in the community directory search then click search it will bring up a page with your user name and how many times you posted you can now click on the (number) of post and it will take you to a list of every page that you posted to and it will be in order by date. just book mark this page or save it to your favorites and you will be able to go right to the post you have.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Al is correct. We had to change the forum system as someone was making posts under someone elses name.
For the most part the forum is self regulating and usefull. It was a little simpler before, but it takes a lot of time to deal with those bogus posts so the forum was changed. Its like a new bender, you'll get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.