quick trivial question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp10ez

in the codes 6 "hand-operation" ruling....where do they come up with the number 6? is it just a random number or is it due to say time trials (where you can throw so many main breakers in an allotted time period)?

Len_B

Re: quick trivial question

I was fortunate enough to know one of the members of Code-making panel 4 responsible for writing the rules for services when this rule was introduced. His name was Lou Lafleur (spelling ??) He was also executive director of IAEI many years ago. I asked him the question, where did the number 6 come from? He said that with the new appliance coming available, we started with a single 30 amp knife-blade disconnect to disconnect the two 30 amp edision base main fuses. As the load increased for the service load we kept adding additional knife-blade disconnects and fuses. Finally the committee said enough is enough and set the limit to 6. There was no technical reason offered at that time other than it was getting unwieldly. --- John Caloggero
Original thread posted at http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/005854.html

[ March 03, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Len_B ]

sp10ez

Russ, i appologize, i am new to this site, and on a first quick search, i had not found the original post....thank you. and John, thank you for your input.

Len_B

sp10ez,

Actually, you should thank John Caloggero for the original post on the subject. I had wondered about this for years,(not that I actually lost sleep, but...) and had kicked it around with other electricians, but never found a good answer. John confirmed several people's suspicions that it was just one of those arbitrary NEC decisions. I just remembered the recent thread.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.