R20 Bulbs in a 4" exterior eve light allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMA-dmax

Hi all, new guy here to the forums, I have a customer which brought up a question for me that I did not have an answer for right away, he asked me" WHy did you install indoor R20 Bulbs in my eve lights outside? which clearly says in the light bulb box " indoor use only", my answer was at that time that we do that all the time since the bulbs are out of the way of physical damage from the weather. Well he did not accept that as an answer so here I am looking for a code reference but I just can't find one...and if it is not allowed how come our inspector never brought that up? can someone tell me what would you do in this case? and is there a code reference to that. if not I need to go back and install PAR 20 bulbs instead.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well I don't have an answer other than to say I do it all the time also. I don't believe bulbs have a damp location rating and IMO, as long as water is not dripping on the bulb then I cannot see an issue with the install. One difference between a R bulb and a Par bulb is the glass thickness which will withstand rain when the bulb is on. Indoor bulbs will shatter when they get hot and a cold rain hits it.

I don't think you will find anything in the code on it other than 110.3(B)

AMA-dmax

I could not find it either, I wonder if this is not adderessed anywhere in the code in an exemption. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
huh good question--how about this in trying to answer whether or not it is a wet location--would you run romex there either in conduit or open and would that be considered as a wet location for that?--And yes--I use R20's also but am kinda rethinking--(over thinking maybe) now

AMA-dmax

huh good question--how about this in trying to answer whether or not it is a wet location--would you run romex there either in conduit or open and would that be considered as a wet location for that?--And yes--I use R20's also but am kinda rethinking--(over thinking maybe) now

I'm telling you I am confused and lost since they are not UL listed to be used out side, but if you think about it a regular A19 base bulb is also rated indoors.....but we need to install them in a wall mounted fixture bottom open type. as far as I know no one makes an out door style A19 for outside sconces or chandeliers since they are out of the elements...but I need a code reference for sure so I can show it to the customer that we did it right, as of that day he thinks that we are trying to do a scam on him (lol) but I'm gonna go ahead and replace all his exterior lights, but this is not about the money, just want to know where in the code this is covered.:?

Mr. Holt if you are reading this give us your opinion. I'm in limbo

mwm1752

Well I don't have an answer other than to say I do it all the time also. I don't believe bulbs have a damp location rating and IMO, as long as water is not dripping on the bulb then I cannot see an issue with the install. One difference between a R bulb and a Par bulb is the glass thickness which will withstand rain when the bulb is on. Indoor bulbs will shatter when they get hot and a cold rain hits it.

I don't think you will find anything in the code on it other than 110.3(B)

The only comfirmation I can think of at this moment is the list of trims & lamps with the can. The general coxial trim is a damp rated trim which is on the list to be able to be install with that trim. I agree with Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.