Raceway on outside of building

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamonett

The following question was on a Master electrical test that a friend of mine took recently.

A raceway installed on the outside of a building must be arranged to drain unless it is installed inside one of the following:

RMC
EMT
PVC
FMC

I disagree with the validity of the entire question, or rather, the possible answers. Articles 225.22 and 230.53 both address this issue, and clearly state that a raceway installed on the outside of a building must be arranged to drain.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you.

John

benaround

John, I think we are going to need the question exactly the way it was written. I'm not

giving you a hard time, just need to know.

jamonett

Raceway on outside of building

Thank you everyone for responding.
The way that I wrote the question is how it was asked, at least according to my friend.
From my viewpoint, ANY kind of raceway installed on the outside of a building
must be arranged so that it can drain. I have not found ANYTHING in the NEC
that would indicate otherwise. And why you would install one raceway inside of another one doesn't seem to make any sense. I don't think I have ever done that.

jamonett

Yes it is. The question takes the verbage of 225.22 as follows:
Raceways on exteriors of buildings or other structures shall be arranged to drain EXCEPT when installed inside which of the following? And then four possible conduit choices are listed.

jamonett

That is correct. So in my mind, ANY kind of raceway that is PERMITTED to be installed
on the outside of a building or a structure must be arranged so that it can drain, regardless if that same raceway is installed inside ANOTHER raceway.
And to carry it even further, why would you install one raceway inside another?
At least under normal installation practices. Now certainly, fiber optic cable is installed in its own raceway which is then put inside another raceway, but I don't think that applies in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.