Raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Raceway

This is usually a local standard. The NEC is not specific in a measurement. Read 230.70(A)(1)

And please, turn off the caps!

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Wow, caps do make it hard to read. I read Minimum as Maximum, I agree with Bryan.

Roger

hey_poolboy

I don't think that Roger meant any offense by his remark. It is common courtesy online or in e-mail not to type in caps.
It is difficult to read and is perceived as shouting.

Anyway, they're right. It's usually up to the POCO. Around here it's 15ft.(max.)

[ August 22, 2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: hey_poolboy ]

nmbme

Originally posted by hey_poolboy:
I don't think that Roger meant any offense by his remark. It is common courtesy online or in e-mail not to type in caps.
It is difficult to read and is perceived as shouting.

Anyway, they're right. It's usually up to the POCO. Around here it's 15ft.(max.)
Dont you mean"usually up to the AHJ" ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by nmbme:
Originally posted by roger:
Wow, caps do make it hard to read. I read Minimum as Maximum, I agree with Bryan.

Roger
What are you a comic?
Poolboy is correct, I didn't mean any offense and your caps are perceived as yelling. All I can say is, it's simply to bad that you didn't like my answer.

You show up here in a panic screaming and then have the audacity to get your panties wadded up.

You list yourself as a journeyman have you read the section I pointed you too? I would like an answer and how you interpret it.

BTW, why are you using SCH 80 for this?

Roger

hey_poolboy

nmbme, In my area, unless I am in a city, the POCO is my AHJ; but you are correct, I should have said AHJ.

Roger, I did not to mean to sound so much like I was speaking for you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by bphgravity:
You edited your post and changed the word "minimum" to "maximum" hence all the confusion. :)

Roger

redfish

You edited your post and changed the word "minimum" to "maximum" hence all the confusion.
I knew when I read this post earlier that it said minimum, not maximum. I thought roger and bphgravity had it pretty much summed up.Then I checked the post again and wondered how I missed that. nmbme, that's not nice.
AGNRYFAICBANANA.gif

nmbme

Originally posted by redfish:
You edited your post and changed the word "minimum" to "maximum" hence all the confusion.
I knew when I read this post earlier that it said minimum, not maximum. I thought roger and bphgravity had it pretty much summed up.Then I checked the post again and wondered how I missed that. nmbme, that's not nice.
AGNRYFAICBANANA.gif
SRRY ,Didnt know a person couldnt edit

nmbme

Roger
What are you a comic?
Poolboy is correct, I didn't mean any offense and your caps are perceived as yelling. All I can say is, it's simply to bad that you didn't like my answer.

You show up here in a panic screaming and then have the audacity to get your panties wadded up.

You list yourself as a journeyman have you read the section I pointed you too? I would like an answer and how you interpret it.

BTW, why are you using SCH 80 for this?

Roger
A journeyman I am ,what did you say u were ? the section you were referring to has to do with service equipment .I am asking about the "raceway" from the service equipment to the meter base. As far as shc 80 ,its a preference

cselectric

A journeyman I am ,what did you say u were ? the section you were referring to has to do with service equipment .I am asking about the "raceway" from the service equipment to the meter base. As far as shc 80 ,its a preference [/QB]
Actually 230.70(A)(1) has to do with location of service equipment as it relates to the routing of service conductors. What else could "inside, nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" possibly refer to? As far as what that means, it's a matter of local interpretation. Someone stated 15 feet in their area, here in SE Wisconsin, it's 6 feet. The only real answer is to contact your local AHJ and ask. Whatever the AHJ says esentially goes on this one, as the code is left pretty vague.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

A journeyman I am ,what did you say u were?
Well, I hold more than a Journeymans card.

What state do you hold this Journeyman card in?

the section you were referring to has to do with service equipment .?
And exactly what did this section say about the location of this service equipment?

I am asking about the "raceway" from the service equipment to the meter base.
As I said before, it is mostly a local issue, read 230.70(A)(1)

Now, are you going to edit your post after they have been answered again?
icon13.gif

Roger

hey_poolboy

Sched. 40 or 80? doesn't make much difference.
I believe that if this raceway is before the service disconnecting means it is service equipment.
Since the NEC does not state a length and it is afterall a permissive code :D then anything would be permissible. That is where the AHJ steps in, and voltage drop

edit: man, i type to s l o w

[ August 22, 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: hey_poolboy ]

redfish

For someone as smart as you, it's hard to believe that you would ask such a simple question. Do like roger recommended and read 230.70(A)(1).Welcome to the forum and keep an open mind. Sorry if I sounded a little gruff, you are right, it's okay to edit. ;)

nmbme

A journeyman I am ,what did you say u were?
Well, I hold more than a Journeymans card.

What state do you hold this Journeyman card in?

the section you were referring to has to do with service equipment .?
And exactly what did this section say about the location of this service equipment?

I am asking about the "raceway" from the service equipment to the meter base.
As I said before, it is mostly a local issue, read 230.70(A)(1)

Now, are you going to edit your post after they have been answered again?
icon13.gif

Roger
ignore list applied

Status
Not open for further replies.