Raceways sharing inverter outputs with ev charger branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocoee

I have a client who wants to install an EV Charger at the same time we are installing an 18 panel pv system. We are using 18 micro inverters.

May my inverter output circuits (AC) share a raceway along with the EV charging circuit. I understand derating and sizing of conductors for conditions of use.

this would save a lot of effort as the distance from the service equipment and array is substantial. The other option would just to install an sub panel in the garage location/where the array is located. I could tie the pv in there provided the utility allow me to placard the location of the disconnect for purposes of grouping .. For now my question is about sharing raceways.. code reference would be helpful. thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm not a PV guy but would 690.31(B) not prohibit such an install ??

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I'm not a PV guy but would 690.31(B) not prohibit such an install ??
In the terminology of Article 690, "PV source" and "PV output" circuits are all DC on the input side of the inverter(s). See the diagrams at the beginning of the chapter. So 690.31(B) doesn't apply to inverter output circuits.

I haven't checked all of 690, but I don't believe there's a restriction on inverter output circuits. But the subpanel idea seems cleaner to me.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It's fine. 690.31(B) only applies to DC pv circuits, and we're talking about AC inverter outputs. That said I've struggled with a couple AHJs to explain this. Earlier codes you had to hold their attention long enough to get them to read the definitions. It's clearer in the 2020 NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks for clarification. The term "PV output circuits" threw me. I assumed (my mistake) a micoiverter was still an "output circuit".

Status
Not open for further replies.