Radient ceiling heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

V10Ole

Hi guys I have a question with electric radient ceiling heat in my case the wires are placed between two sheets of 1/2 inch sheet rock and I understand the normal spacing for the wire is 3 to 4 inches apart. I need to locate the wires to save them from damage installing a ceiling fan. anyone have a good way to locate them? Thanks for any help Rick:?:

mdshunk

I take the connections apart at the stat and hook a toner on the leads. If you throttle back the volume on the probe piece, you can find the conductors pretty closely. Another trick is to spritz the ceiling with a mist of water from a spray bottle and turn the heat up. The "lines" where the leads are will start to appear in 10 minutes or so. (this trick works for underfloor duct too. Spritz the floor with water and run a space heater into the open end of the duct).

Bob NH

Turn on the heaters when it is dark, turn out the lights, and look at the ceiling with a thermal imaging camera.

If you are lucky, you might be able to see it with a home video camera that has very low light capability. Some of them were capable of seeing infrared.

A cheap way that might work would be to wipe a damp cloth over the heated ceiling and see if you can locate the wires by where the drying is initially observed.

stickboy1375

V10Ole said:
Hi guys I have a question with electric radient ceiling heat in my case the wires are placed between two sheets of 1/2 inch sheet rock and I understand the normal spacing for the wire is 3 to 4 inches apart. I need to locate the wires to save them from damage installing a ceiling fan. anyone have a good way to locate them? Thanks for any help Rick:?:

Look at the bright side, at least you knew they were there before you cut the fan box in...

Status
Not open for further replies.