"Radio Receptacle" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I run into these from time to time. I'd guess them to be from the 40's, maybe. One half was an ungrounded 15 amp receptacle, and the other half accepted the aerial plug from a console radio. You connected the 120V power to one set of terminals on the receptacle, and the outdoor radio aerial to the other set of terminals. The "receptacle" has a built-in box barrier, suitable for use with the boxes typically found in their day:

radiorecanimation2.gif

Last edited:

mdshunk

BackInTheHabit said:
Nice slide show. How do you stop it to get a still photo?
I don't know. That might be tough, and that's sorta the idea. I have found some of my own photos being used in seminars in which people pay money to get in to. I'm all for the educational process, but I don't really like people making money (even if only in a small way) off my efforts.

mdshunk

When replacing these devices, since nobody uses them for their antenna capabilities anymore, I just put in a regular 2-prong duplex receptacle and bug off the old aerial leads. Typically, the outdoor aerial doesn't even exist anymore.

Karl H

Marc, you run into alot of cool stuff. ie. the "quad-plex" recept and now this radio recept. In 22 years industrial all I ever ran into is knob-n-tube or old knife switches from Trolley cars. Thanks for sharing your finds.

gndrod

mdshunk said:
I don't know. That might be tough, and that's sorta the idea. I have found some of my own photos being used in seminars in which people pay money to get in to. I'm all for the educational process, but I don't really like people making money (even if only in a small way) off my efforts.
Marc,

Have you ever considered cataloging all those unique finds and coming up with an electrical reference book that includes your own personal take on describing the item. The back of the book explanation and a transitional view of upgrading the existing configuration would be a good educational selling point. JMO rbj

mdshunk said:

Marc
My understanding is that it is basically "finders, keepers" on the net. For some info all one needs to do is reference the source, for other stuff, that is not even necessary.

nakulak

yeah, but between the two of you guys I bet there are enough photos/information/stories for several "coffee table" books. (seriously)

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
My understanding is that it is basically "finders, keepers" on the net. For some info all one needs to do is reference the source, for other stuff, that is not even necessary.
I know, but I don't have to pretend that it's okay with me... but we digress.

mdshunk

nakulak said:
dude ! watermark your pictures !
It's not really that important of an issue, really. I was asked about it, so I answered it. Not something I'd otherwise complain about without prompting.

Got any comments on a radio receptacle? Ever seen one? I run into maybe one a year. It's usually the customer that points it out to me, and they generally swear it's "an old 220 receptacle".

joebell

Marc,

Thats cool, I ran into one of those about 15 years ago in a house and had no Idea what it was thanks for shraing. Where did you find the one with the original packaging?

Joe

Marc
The area I work in has some of the oldest electrical installations in the country, so we get to see some cool stuff and stuff I have no idea about. I have seen those receptacles in the field, they are usually painted over quite a bit.

I have seen them with the old flat, 2-wire antenna wire going somewhere in the building, usually the attic.

mdshunk

joebell said:
Thats cool, I ran into one of those about 15 years ago in a house and had no Idea what it was thanks for shraing. Where did you find the one with the original packaging?
In the summer, I enjoy going to flea markets. I seldom buy anything, but I love to look at all the neat stuff. I can easily spend a day at a bigger flea market if there are lots of antiques to comb through. Some flea markets are more like glorified yard sales, but the one's with antiques are real gems. I'll go far and wide to poke around in antique stores.

e57

I have see a handfull of these over the year - some with power, some not - including the one that used to be in my living room - it consisted of a 1/4" jack a wire down to the cold water pipe, and one up to the attic that ran the length of the house in the rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.