Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I miss going to Rad Shack to test our TV tubes. Learning from the old man that an average guy could fix his own TV.
I now work with small surface mount devices that I can barely see with my naked eye. If you try to grab them with a tweezers and miss, or sneeze. they are lost on the floor somewhere forever. Used in building electronics no longer repairable by an average fellow.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I now work with small surface mount devices that I can barely see with my naked eye. If you try to grab them with a tweezers and miss, or sneeze. they are lost on the floor somewhere forever.
Coworkers and I would call these components "fly specs". Those 0201 and even the 0402 chip caps and resistors are incredibly small. And it's evolving the wrong way for us, since our vision and dexterity is degrading but things keep getting smaller and harder to handle.
I miss going to Rad Shack to test our TV tubes. Learning from the old man that an average guy could fix his own TV.
A guy I know said when he was a kid he'd go to Walgreens with his brother to test tubes for their TV. One time he looked up the tubes that would have a plate cap with high voltage applied to them. Then he selected such a tube on the tester settings and told his brother to hold the plate cap lead while he worked on doing the test. Suddenly his brother let out a big yelp, and not surprisingly his brother would no longer cooperate after that. :rolleyes:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
These older companies fail to modernize and adapt to trends IMO, resulting in their demise,Radio Schack, KMart and Sears among them. People like new and modern looking buildings, both exterior and interior. McDonalds and Dunkin are always renovating or rebuilding, that’s not by mistake. Burger King not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.