radio static

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

what can be done for a radio when on an AM station gets static when a dimmer is turned on? Is there a filter or different tpe of dimmer for incandescent lights I could use?

plate

My experience is that higher priced dimmers ($30+) are better in terms of reducing static on the AM radio. The static is a result of the solid state switching and more expensive dimmers incorporate a filter.

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with location of the dimmer & radio. Get rid of, or move the dimmer or radio.

My house, I have a Lutron DVLV600P Dimmer directly behind a 2 line wall mounted phone. The phone has static with the lights are on.

dereckbc

Staff member
Dimmers work with a solid state triac. When the triac turns on, it puts a pretty large spike from the sudden turn on, and this in turns rings the wiring radiating through all the wiring in the house. Unfortumately commercial AM radio is very low frequency and the nature of impulse noise is detected in the radios causing the static.

Short answer, use a quality dimmer with a good RF filter that uses a fairly large coil aka choke.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The dimmer electronics are only the creator of the high frequency components in the short rise time of the "turn on" each half cycle.

The antenna that broadcasts the RFI/EMI is all the rest of the branch circuit.

It doesn't matter whether the box is metal or not. . .now, if the circuit is in steel conduit, that's another matter.

Lance de Cesare

Sub Woofer "Pop"

Sub Woofer "Pop"

Occaisionally we receive a service call on one of the houses we wired indicating that when a regular wall switch, or fan speed control is switched on, or between speeds, there is a very loud "POP"! This happens on motor-loads, and some flourescent lights. We check all connections, and grounds, and find all is good. It appears that some sub-woofers are prone to this. We've tested a neighbors different brand in the same house with no effect. We changed the fan, the switch, (even to a very high priced product) with no success. It's hard to convince a homeowner that his new product is at fault. Is there a filter or something that we are missing?
Lance

karl riley

If the dimmer is on a circuit which is producing net current due to a misconnection of a neutral, the frequencies will be transferred to the entire circuit. The remedy in that case would be to find the wiring error and fix it. Neutral may be connected to a ground somewhere in the circuit or to another neutral from a separate circuit.

In the case of a three-way switch circuit, if you are using 2-conductor travelers you will have a net current. (Net current means the hot and neutral are not carrying the same amperage). You cannot shield a net current magnetic field with metal. No effect.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.