Rail Kiosk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushpin

My customer is wanting a kiosk building between 2 ethanol unloading rail spurs. There will be 10 cars on each track with the building in the middle.
The building will be 48" above finish grade.

It appears to be outside of the classified area.

Got any opinions?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pushpin said:
My customer is wanting a kiosk building between 2 ethanol unloading rail spurs. There will be 10 cars on each track with the building in the middle.
The building will be 48" above finish grade.

It appears to be outside of the classified area.

Got any opinions?
On what? Someone qualified to do so should decide just what area needs to be classified and put that on a set of drawings, or document it in some other way.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pushpin said:
I agree! But...By the code will it be in or out?

Someone qualified to make the judgement should make it. Railroad sidings are not exactly something a lot of people have that much familiarity with. The only ones I have ever dealt with were in a chemical plant where everything in the area of the rails was classifed (mostly div 2), even stuff well above grade.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Gentlemen, if you do not want to be helpful then don't bother posting.

Pushpin, someone will likely chime in with a helpful answer give it some time.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
iwire said:
Gentlemen, if you do not want to be helpful then don't bother posting.

Pushpin, someone will likely chime in with a helpful answer give it some time.
One of the reasons I didn't chime in earlier is Bob's (petersonra) responses are basically correct although they could have been a bit more charitable.

I guess I should simply add this: there is insufficient information in the OP to answer the question. No distances other than the elevation were mentioned. The method of material transfer also affects the answer.

In addition, the NEC just doesn’t answer the question at all. The proper Standard(s) is (are) NFPA 30, NFPA 497 or possibly, API RP500

A qualified person, knowledgeable of the whole installation should document the electrical area classification – then the OP can be answered.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
rbalex said:
One of the reasons I didn't chime in earlier is Bob's (petersonra) responses are basically correct although they could have been a bit more charitable.
I apologize for being insufficiently charitable.

I did not mean to sound harsh, but sometimes what one writes sounds harsher than what one meant.

Bob Alexander is much better at writing in a way that is less likely to be taken unfavorably than I am.

rbalex said:

I guess I should simply add this: there is insufficient information in the OP to answer the question. No distances other than the elevation were mentioned. The method of material transfer also affects the answer.

In addition, the NEC just doesn?t answer the question at all. The proper Standard(s) is (are) NFPA 30, NFPA 497 or possibly, API RP500

A qualified person, knowledgeable of the whole installation should document the electrical area classification ? then the OP can be answered.
I'm not sure, but local building and zoning codes may come into effect as well. I hope you have a good architect or engineer that is familiar with the project to work this out with.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
DanZ said:
I'm not sure, but local building and zoning codes may come into effect as well. I hope you have a good architect or engineer that is familiar with the project to work this out with.
Some railroads also have requirements that can be a little unusual. I know that a place I used to work had a RR track come into the building and there was a requirement from the RR that nothing could be located within 8 or maybe it was 10 feet of the tracks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am shamefaced.

I am shamefaced.

I gave some misinformation when I said the NEC doesn?t address the OP directly. The fact is, this installation falls within the Scope of Article 515 and Table 515.3 applies. A knowledgeable individual should still create the documentation.

Pushpin

I was a bit vage.
The Rails are 27' center to center. Because ethanol mixes easily with water...and the water table is 3' down the entire site has a water proof liner making it a swimming pool of ethanol if there was a leak.

To me the entire area should be classified and the kiosk lights, plugs, ac, and relay panel should be div 2 rated. The customer argues saying the kiosk will not be located close enough to the actual connections to the rail cars and will be elevated.

I my opion is that it has disaster written all over it.

But you know about opinions...

Like arm pits everyone has 2..... and most stink. :smile:

Ask 2 engineers 1 question and you will get 3 answers. (sorry just had to add that) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.