Raintight EMT Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

Why are the fitting manufactures changing the compression EMT fittings to be Raintight by adding an internal seal?

I thought that compression fittings were already rain tight.

Something must have changed. I looked in the 2005 NEC and could not find a reference to rain tight fittings.

I have tried to get some of the new rain tight fittings at all of the large supply houses in Worcester MA, and they all never heard about them. They all said that all compression fittings are rain tight.

I know something must have changed, either the NEC or the UL listing, but the suppliers haven't caught up to it yet.

Can anyone point me to what has changed???? :confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Raintight EMT Fittings

UL changed the rules in March 02, go Here.

Many manufacturers are now compliant with the new standard.

Edited for a spelling prublem.

Roger

[ August 15, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Take a look here:

http://tnbelectricalworld.tnb.com/contractor/docs/sc_raintightemt.pdf

sc_raintightemt.jpg

physis

I still haven't done an outdoor application since the advent the older stuff isn't rain tight anymore.

Not that I think that they were, cause they weren't.

I wont ask why UL said they were though. :roll:

Those couplers and connectors look pretty cool. Pretty expensive too. What's the going rate for a box or a peice?

It would be cool to actually have a rain tight installation.

[ August 15, 2005, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Sam, the reason for UL's change was due to the testing lab getting a new water system and increased water pressure in the hoses they tested the fittings with.

Now, I have some Ocean Front Property here in the Smokies I'll sale you for cheap. ;)

Roger

physis

I don't mean to be crude (yes I do :D ) but what id they used to do, pee on it? :D :D

The public owns all the beach access in California. Sept, we have no right to the "access part"

I love bureaucracy. :D

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

I checked with the T&B rep last week he said the redesigned fittings are about 30% more expensive.

physis

I really don't mind a thirty percent increase. Given the product actually works, and I tend to believe it does. Especially considering the prices at my local grocery outlets seem to be following a 300% per year curve and often incriment by 100% all of a sudden over a one day period.

This at least seems beneficial.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

You know, guys, we should keep this quiet, or the plumbers will want them, too! :D

physis

I happen to know that plumbers hate our guts, :D , they wish that when they bent their pipes, and they do, that they weren't outside the code. :p

paul

Well Hell's Bells...I guess I don't need the 'W' in my wire designation anymore, nor do I need to run my conduit so that the water drains anymore. I don't see the point of these goofy fittings.

physis

It's true, what's the point if it's all wet location anyway?

Edit: But at the same time it would be nice if any of this stuff actually worked.

[ August 16, 2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.