Raised Floor - 645.15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Anyone familiar with grounding/bonding raised floor systems in a server room? From 645.15, I take it that all posts shall be bonded to an equipment grounding conductor, and I have been reading IEEE 1100-2005 regarding Single Reference Grids. I'm trying to understand if the SRG is the flat wire grid, the grounding/bonding conductor net, or if 645.15 requires the SRG be bonded and a grounding grid be installed. Thoughts? Anyone with experience?

Also, I read that for 3000 sqft of raised floor, a #4/0 bare grounding net is required... where is that information found (no reference in article)? In a different article, I also read that the resistance should be 4 ohms or less.

Articles referenced.

ron

Lots of standards and practices that are not a consensus. There is no code other than if you feel it is likely to become energized, you would bond the raised floor. since most raised floor frames are metallic, you could bond to a corner and you are all set.

4/0 is often used, but not required. Lots of designers use 2/0, but others use larger.

IEEE is a good reference. Copper.org is biased and shouldn't be used as a reference.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Lots of standards and practices that are not a consensus. There is no code other than if you feel it is likely to become energized, you would bond the raised floor. since most raised floor frames are metallic, you could bond to a corner and you are all set.

4/0 is often used, but not required. Lots of designers use 2/0, but others use larger.

IEEE is a good reference. Copper.org is biased and shouldn't be used as a reference.
Thanks. That is kind of what I was getting from the research.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also note that just because article 645 covers server rooms, you dont have to use 645 if you dont want to. I never thought the benefits you get using 645 outweigh the hassles involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.