Ranch power distribution - how to handle grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrikActual

New User
Occupation
Hobbiest
My ranch is off grid, power is provided by a solar system with generator backup. The solar inverter, batteries, charge controller and the backup generator are co-located in a small building. I am going to think of this as my "service entrance." I have 240v single phase coming out of the inverter - I think of it as a 240v single phase service.

I want to run power from my service entrance along about 2,000' of road. I will install the cable carrying the power underground. Most likely, I will use 4/0, 4/0, 2/0 URD, but that isn't the question here. I know how to size the service cable based on voltage loss. Along the road, every few hundred feet, I want to place a 110v outlet in case I need to run a pump or a hand drill or something. Max load 15 amps at each one.

In three places, I need to feed what I am thinking of as a sub-panel. One is a barn, one is a trailer, the third is an garage. In each case, I intend to install a small sub-panel. 50 amps or less each.

My question is how to handle grounding.

My understanding of the NEC is that I need to run an EGC along with my URD "service cable". I understand how to size the EGC based on the total load.

My understanding is that I must install a grounding electrode at each sub-panel, and that I must tie the electrode to the EGC and NOT bond the grounding system to the neutral.

First question, is my reading of the NEC correct with respect to grounding the outbuilding sub-panels, even given that one of them will be close to 1,500' from the "service entrance"?

Second question, how to I handle grounding at the stand-alone outlets? My read is that I do not install a grounding electrode at each outlet, and I do not bond the EGC to neutral at each outlet. But I do bond the metal components of the outlets to the EGC. Does that sound correct?

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.