Range/Stove Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppower

Can a freestanding Range/oven (240V-30Amp) be plug connected? The plan is to occasionally pull the unit away from the wall to clean around it. Is there a flexible conductor (somewhat like a welding cable) that is used on the unit to avoid conductor work hardening and fatigue failure. Right now the unit is hardwired, but I'm concerned about the conductors if moved a few time each year.

southernboys

Re: Range/Stove Connections

Ok I must be confused. Are you asking if they make a 40a plug for a range? Do you actually have your range wired directly to your panel?

Jhr

If its a free standing range /oven wounld'nt it be a 240v 50amp circuit, which then you could install a 50amp plug and pigtail.

redfish

Yes, it's common practice to cord connect a range, but not on a 30A circuit. What is the nameplate rating of this stove? I would not be surprised if it required at least a 40A circuit. :) :)

[ July 17, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

For the sake of following up on the nameplate ratings of the original question, a 4 wire 30 amp cord used on a clothes dryer is not limited to use on clothes dryers. Use that.

Be sure that the whip is not part of the appliance listing. Some manufacturers of specific models don't want the whip replaced with something else. Check the installer's intructions.

macmikeman

Is there a drawer at the bottom of this freestanding range? Slide it out and look to make sure there is no additional back plate which covers the rear of the range completly. I have seen these types before with a complete rear plate. Section 422.33 (b) allows cords on household ranges only where the removal of a drawer allows access from the front.

redfish

If it's a freestanding unit, then the cord and plug will be accessible simply by sliding the stove out. :)

macmikeman

Quote by Redfish, "If it's a freestanding unit, then the cord and plug will be accessible simply by sliding the stove out."

I agree with you on that Redfish, but if you read the code section I just quoted you in the above post you will not find any exception for freestanding ranges. It just says household ranges have to have a drawer which allows front access. Now if I was an electrical inspector I probably wouldn't be bothering with that one, especially since it's ok for dryers.

[ July 18, 2005, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: macmikeman ]

jwelectric

210.19 (A) (3) Household Ranges and Cooking Appliances. Branch-circuit conductors supplying household ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, and other household cooking appliances shall have an ampacity not less than the rating of the branch circuit and not less than the maximum load to be served. For ranges of 8? kW or more rating, the minimum branch-circuit rating shall be 40 amperes.

422.33 (B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if it is accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).
:)

redfish

Are the cord and plug not considered accessible even though the stove will slide out to gain access? What do you guys think? I've always installed a cord and plug for ranges (some even include cords for installation). :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

When I worked at Wendy's (oh boy) the range in back was on casters, so I would consider that to be mobile enough to conceal the receptacle supplying it.

A standard household range is a bit heavy and doesn't have wheels, which is where 422 comes into play, IMO. :)

mc5w

You could also put the receptacle above the range and it would be considered accessible for disconnection purposes.

Just be sure of your ratings. I one time installed a 3 bay Jenair which according to the nameplate rating needed a 60 amp branch circuit, not a 50 amp branch circuit. Sure, you could only need the full 60 amps for Thanksgiving, Christmas, family reunions, and so forth but that was why this guy bought a 3 bay stove instead of a 2 bay stove.

macmikeman

Guy's I am not trying to start up a storm, I just stated what the code book say's . Personaly, I also would like this one changed to exempting freestanding ranges. By the way this has been in the code book for quite a while. At least as far back as 1987.

Status
Not open for further replies.