rangehood installation instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The installations instructions for my rangehood say that the circuit must be fused on both sides of the line. (see below for complete context) What does this mean "both sides of the line?"

A 120 volt, 60 Hz AC-only electrical supply is required on a separate 15 amp circuit, fused on both sides of the line. A time-delay fuse or circuit breaker is recommended. The fuse must be sized per local codes in accordance with the electrical rating of this unit as specified on the serial/rating plate located inside the unit near the field wiring compartment.

dacreman

Re: rangehood installation instructions

Sometimes, technical writers that write installation/operator manuals know how to perform a task step by step, but do not understand what they are doing or what it means.

charlie

I am betting that this is an error from cutting and pasting. I would think this is a reworked instruction sheet from a 240 volt or a 208 volt hood. The manufacturer's instructions are a part of the listing and must be followed in accordance with 110.3(B). I am betting that this is an error that UL didn't catch when the product was tested and that they would be very interested in knowing about. :D

bill addiss

I'm also wondering if this product was intended to be sold/installed in another country?

Maybe a translation problem?

Bill

[ March 07, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by charlie:
I am betting that this is an error from cutting and pasting. I would think this is a reworked instruction sheet from a 240 volt or a 208 volt hood. The manufacturer's instructions are a part of the listing and must be followed in accordance with 110.3(B). I am betting that this is an error that UL didn't catch when the product was tested and that they would be very interested in knowing about. :D
Charlie
I don't believe that the manufacturers instructions are in fact part of the listing or labeling. To be enforceable the instructions in question have to be on the label that bears the listing mark or be noted in the listing document. This is the reason that you can install a Thomas & Bettes breaker in a SqaureD panel as long as they are laboratory recognized as suitable for that use. The instructions that come with the panel say you cannot use other manufacturers breakers without voiding the warranty. They used to say without voiding the listing. When the dust settled Thomas & Bettes had won the argument and changed the application of the manufacturers instruction rule forever.
--
Tom

charlie

I don't believe that the manufacturers instructions are in fact part of the listing or labeling.
Sorry, 110.3(B) seems pretty clear to me. "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." :cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Charlie,
How are we to know in the field what instructions are "included in the listing or labeling"? As Tom pointed out, not all manufacturer's instructions are "included in the listing or labeling", because if they were there would be no code compliant way to use "classified" circuit breakers.
Don

charlie

Sorry Don, I can't answer that one. I do know that the instructions are used to do the "installation" at UL for testing. The instruction then become part of the listing.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by charlie:
Sorry Don, I can't answer that one. I do know that the instructions are used to do the "installation" at UL for testing. The instruction then become part of the listing.
The manufacturer's instructions only become part of the listing or labeling if they are included in the listing document or they are printed on the same label as the listing mark. In all other cases they are not part of the listing or labeling and are therefore un enforceable.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.