Rapid Shutdown in Shipping Container-mounted PV

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I am designing a PV system with an option to be mounted on top of a standard 40ft steel shipping container. It will be intended to be used for certain work tasks, but is not habitable. It does not contain any windows, but will contain electric service, and HVAC system, lighting, and other equipment.

690.12 in 2023 NEC informational note states that exceptions for rapid shutdown are intended to be consistent with building and fire codes that have limitations as to the types of buildings on which firefighters typically perform rooftop operations.

I know informational notes are not binding, but I am thinking that no fire department would ever perform rooftop operations on a shipping container in the event of a fire. Any opinions on whether you would pursue exception from Rapid shutdown in this situation?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am designing a PV system with an option to be mounted on top of a standard 40ft steel shipping container. It will be intended to be used for certain work tasks, but is not habitable. It does not contain any windows, but will contain electric service, and HVAC system, lighting, and other equipment.

690.12 in 2023 NEC informational note states that exceptions for rapid shutdown are intended to be consistent with building and fire codes that have limitations as to the types of buildings on which firefighters typically perform rooftop operations.

I know informational notes are not binding, but I am thinking that no fire department would ever perform rooftop operations on a shipping container in the event of a fire. Any opinions on whether you would pursue exception from Rapid shutdown in this situation?
IMO, RS rules do not apply.