rating of electrial rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Unless you've got an, over 112 1/2kVA transformer or you've got an Emergency Electrical closet, I don't believe there are any requirements for rating that room. In fact, you don't even need a room correct?

I'm wondering if this is contingent on the space being sprinklered? I don't believe it is.

Just looking for a sanity check.

Thanks,

Mike

kwired

Electron manager
Unless you've got an, over 112 1/2kVA transformer or you've got an Emergency Electrical closet, I don't believe there are any requirements for rating that room. In fact, you don't even need a room correct?

I'm wondering if this is contingent on the space being sprinklered? I don't believe it is.

Just looking for a sanity check.

Thanks,

Mike

Read the exceptions - if you have a completely enclosed transformer except for ventilation openings you still don't need a rated room. When you say "don't even need a room" it means don't need a room dedicated to housing the transformer. If there is no room at all it is probably outdoors

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with your assessment :happyyes: , but I can't speak to the sanity issue :happysad: , for if we didn't have a sanity issue, then how did we get to be engineers? :lol:

MIEngineer

I haven't had a need to look at this before but I found you're referencing 430.21(B). If it's a Class 155 transformer then the barrier doesn't need an hour-rating? Just fire-resistant or by 6' according to exception 1?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.