Re-identification of conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

In 250.119 Identification of EGC it states that the green shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded cc. At a home yesterday and found someone had used a #10 green as a hot conductor. Does 250.119 prevents me from using marking tape to on this conductor. In the Handbook, in the shaded area that explains what 250.119 says I think it does. But I thought I check for sure or some different opinions.

The wording has changed in the '05 NEC, as there was some confusion in the prior code cycle wording in relation to what you have posted.

The new wording is not phrase in instructional format, such as, step 1, step 2, do this, etc...

Conductors 6 AWG and smaller are required to be identified their entire length - they cannot be reidentified with tape or other means.

Because of the change in the wording of the first paragraph in the '05 NEC, it is not permitted to tape a green conductor with tape to identify it as an ungrounded conductor.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I agree with Pierre, how old is the house? Remember, at one time green was used as a hot conductor.

Sorry I'm not old enough to know when that changed, but I'm old enough to have put a hole in a pair of cutters finding it out.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.