Re-identifying grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

I don't have my book with me as I am away and Im pretty sure I believe that I could use a 12 /2 AC cable to feed an AC unit that's 220 and tape the grounded conductor black because it is in a cable assembly only 2008 NEC here

Also they said AC units only draw about 1.6 amps each I can put multiples on a 15 amp breaker I believe

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes for a 240 volt circuit with a white and a black conductor in a cable you can use the white as an ungrounded conductor when re-identified.

nickelec

Yes you can re identify the white in any cable assembly in such situations.

Must be pretty small AC units if they only draw 1.6 amps.
And correct me if I'm wrong I believe that the reasoning behind being able to re-identify the grounded conductor in a cable assembly is because if you're using a conduit you should be able to pull the right color wire correct

nickelec

And correct me if I'm wrong I believe that the reasoning behind being able to re-identify the grounded conductor in a cable assembly is because if you're using a conduit you should be able to pull the right color wire correct

So these are just an air handler and the compressor is in a separate unit. Sounds about right even for about a three or four ton air handler in that case.
Yes

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
More accurate to say that the color requirement for ungrounded conductors has exceptions to accommodate how cables are manufactured. Similar to the way HVAC control wires are based on available cable colors.

kwired

Electron manager
More accurate to say that the color requirement for ungrounded conductors has exceptions to accommodate how cables are manufactured. Similar to the way HVAC control wires are based on available cable colors.
So which came first the cable colors or the HVAC colors?

How many two wire, red/white cables are run to condensing units when it sort of would make more sense to run a cable with say yellow and blue conductors in it?:unsure:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So which came first the cable colors or the HVAC colors?
The cable colors, I believe.

How many two wire, red/white cables are run to condensing units when it sort of would make more sense to run a cable with say yellow and blue conductors in it?:unsure:
Actually, very few these days, with heat pumps, outside sensors, etc.

I've often wished we had "NM cable for DC" like Canada does.

Status
Not open for further replies.