re-use of conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatormanrock

Is there something in the NEC that says that once wiring is pulled out of a raceway that the wiring cannot be re-used? If so, please let me know where it is in the code.

thanks,

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is no prohibition that I am aware of on reusing existing parts.

Listed materials have to be used in accordance with manufacturers instructions. It may be that they instruct you not to reuse it after being pulled.

Of course if it is damaged in being removed you could not reuse it unless you first repaired it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's not the end of the world. I've pulled out wires, re-rounted the conduit for a remodel, and pulled the same wires back in.

Now, strpping a wall and reusing NM cable is a different story, but if I pulled out a length of pristine cable, I might reuse it.

Whether I'd reuse wire on the same job is like reusing breakers. It's up to the customer, and they'd be aware of the choice.

mcclary's electrical

The T&Cs in a lot of purchase orders often spell out whether used parts are acceptable.

If I were the end user I would not care a whole lot unless I was specifically paying for new.

I think that would make all the difference. But If it's new work, IMO, it should be new material.

Ruff-N

If you are talking about small wire, yea I might and have reused the wire limited to 50 feet or less, but if your talking large service feeders and such, I would gringe at the thought. It would involve to much in labor (ie. checking the integrity of the wire insulation etc.) and chance. The differance between new and used, somtimes going new is the best choice, some years ago I installed a used switch on a duct bank, the boss and the SH assured it was good, but for some reason and a lot of work, not to long after the switch was put under load, guess what, it fizzled out, so replacing such big used items after these fail vs installing new, its a matter, I guess of, choice and chance?

Jim W in Tampa

Your just asking for problems. Legal yes unless specs say new and likely will. Now if we are talking small #12 and for what ever reason i ran out of a color i might do it to finish a job but it is not good practice.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
never even entered my mind. Take out the old, charge to install the new and then take the old to the recycling yard to add to the profit.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Used cable makes great grounding and bonding jumpers:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.