Re-Use Tele/Data Jacks??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Say all new cat 6 needs to be run to existing tel/dataoutlets. Could you actually(not that you would want to) somehow pull out thecable(punchdowns) and reuse the jacks?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Say all new cat 6 needs to be run to existing tel/dataoutlets. Could you actually(not that you would want to) somehow pull out thecable(punchdowns) and reuse the jacks?
I do not see any mechanical reason why not. Just get the old wire out completely without bending the clips. :)

Rampage_Rick

It really depends on the particular IDC design... Some types of punchdown slots are rated for 200 insertions (Belden 10GX IDC for one) The standard "110" punchdown can be hit or miss: some can easily be reused a dozen times, others will deform significantly after the first installation. In the late '90s I reused a fair number of Amp Netconnect jacks, because they were expensive. Nowadays I use mostly Leviton and I'll keep a couple used ones for a pinch.

Biggest things to watch for are bits of insulation left in the slot, and the IDC jaws being wedged open. I've had a couple of reused jacks fail to make the connection due to not piercing the insulation, but I've had just as many new jacks do the same thing.

JFletcher

im sure you can, but you dont know if the previous installer used the correct 110 punchdown tool or a small screwdriver. I would use new keystones

Status
Not open for further replies.