Re-working a 200A Eaton CSED panel with battery storage and an automatic transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
This one is going to seem a little wild, but... just maybe it'll work.

Situation:

California standard CSED flush mount Eaton 200A panel with a BWH2200 main breaker, panel is filled with existing circuits (see photo). We just sold the client on PV, and an Enphase battery storage system, with their 200A automatic transfer switch, which can serve as a service entrance device. Client wants all circuits on the after transfer switch protected loads panel.

What we typically do in this case is splice on to the existing circuits in the panel, and redirect them into a protected loads panel. Not a big deal when it's only a few circuits, in this case it's quite a few. It got me thinking... is there any reason why I couldn't remove the two bus bars coming off of that main breaker, and replace them with lugs on both sides, redirecting two sets of 2/0CU condictors in and out of the transfer switch, isolating the existing neutral bar from the enclosure/ground and run the neutral conductor into the transfer switch, and bring a neutral back out to the existing neutral bar, and viola! We don't have to rework 20 circuits, and the main service panel can also serve as the protected loads panel.

I haven't even begun looking at any code references. I know that Eaton makes a lug kit for that main breaker, so I'm thinking there may be a way to use their parts and I wouldn't have any UL listing problems. Appreciate any insight on how other people handle this.

I know this is much simpler in areas where you have a meter socket on the exterior, and the primary panel is located interior, you can just place your transfer switch between the two and you're good to go. Here in California, most all of our panels are combination service entrance devices, with the meter, main breaker, and panel all in one device, hence our dilemma with battery backup or generator panels.

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 20

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This one is going to seem a little wild, but... just maybe it'll work.

Situation:

California standard CSED flush mount Eaton 200A panel with a BWH2200 main breaker, panel is filled with existing circuits (see photo). We just sold the client on PV, and an Enphase battery storage system, with their 200A automatic transfer switch, which can serve as a service entrance device. Client wants all circuits on the after transfer switch protected loads panel.

What we typically do in this case is splice on to the existing circuits in the panel, and redirect them into a protected loads panel. Not a big deal when it's only a few circuits, in this case it's quite a few. It got me thinking... is there any reason why I couldn't remove the two bus bars coming off of that main breaker, and replace them with lugs on both sides, redirecting two sets of 2/0CU condictors in and out of the transfer switch, isolating the existing neutral bar from the enclosure/ground and run the neutral conductor into the transfer switch, and bring a neutral back out to the existing neutral bar, and viola! We don't have to rework 20 circuits, and the main service panel can also serve as the protected loads panel.

I haven't even begun looking at any code references. I know that Eaton makes a lug kit for that main breaker, so I'm thinking there may be a way to use their parts and I wouldn't have any UL listing problems. Appreciate any insight on how other people handle this.

I know this is much simpler in areas where you have a meter socket on the exterior, and the primary panel is located interior, you can just place your transfer switch between the two and you're good to go. Here in California, most all of our panels are combination service entrance devices, with the meter, main breaker, and panel all in one device, hence our dilemma with battery backup or generator panels.
We've had this discussion before and the consensus is you would be modifying a listed piece of equipment. Only way that I know to do what you want is to do as you have done in the past, move circuits to a stand-by/back-up panel containing loads you want backed up.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
I figured that was the case. I tried searching for it, but wasn't able to come up with any previous posts. With Eaton's main breaker lug kit, I figured that it might be possible to do it and maintain the listing... but there's no documentation out there covering this topic. I imagine there will be in the future as these become more common.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
I wish, the margins are tight on these -- and it's a serious undertaking with all of our western us states compliant panels to find anything to make it all work, and not deal with the major stucco repair.

On all new installations, we do it the right way and separate loads to a panel board, no more combo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.