reading amperages

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKwiring

This may be a dumb question, but can someone clarify this for me?
If I am measuring the amperage across each leg of a 2 pole 100 amp breaker and one leg reads 60 amps and one reads 50 amps is the service using 55 amps?
or 110 amps?
Can you explain?
Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
AKwiring said:
If I am measuring the amperage across each leg of a 2 pole 100 amp breaker and one leg reads 60 amps and one reads 50 amps is the service using 55 amps?
or 110 amps?
Can you explain?
Thank you.

Neither -- it is using 60 amps one one leg and 50 amps on the other. I guess you can say it is using a maximum 60 amps.

iwire

Staff member
AKwiring said:
or 110 amps?
Can you explain?
Thank you.

Because the supply and loads in a panel will be more then one voltage you have to forget current (amps) and think power (watts)

A 100 amp breaker in a 120/240 volt single phase panel can supply 24,000 watts (24 KW) evenly balanced.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
iwire said:
A 100 amp breaker in a 120/240 volt single phase panel can supply 24,000 watts (24 KW) evenly balanced.

And if that breaker is supplying 60A on one leg and 50A on the other leg, then you have 60*120 + 50*120 = 13200 kva being supplied.

-Jon

480sparky

winnie said:
And if that breaker is supplying 60A on one leg and 50A on the other leg, then you have 60*120 + 50*120 = 13200 kva being supplied.

-Jon

Would not 50a on leg B be the same 50a on leg A, the other 10a going back through the neutral?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
480sparky said:
Would not 50a on leg B be the same 50a on leg A, the other 10a going back through the neutral?

Yes (barring stray currents) but, neutral current is not power supplied.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.