Really stupid fuse question

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalelect

it may just be one of those days for me , but everything i touch or think about today turns into a big ordeal anyways heres the situation .

work has a list of projects for me to get done as time allows
i started on one today which is installing a air compressor in a space that was once occuiped by something large , i dont know what i wasnt there but what i do know is there is a 600 volt 200 amp disco there with125 amp 600v fuses
i only need 60's for said compressor being installed . i know i have been able to find fuse reducers from line 60's down to 30's and such , does bussman or littlefuse make a reducer from 200 amp 600V fuse down to 60 ? or am i going to have to replace the disco
also another dumb question. can a 600 volt fuse be used safely at a lower voltage ?

on a lighter note the boss's kid was at the shop today causing trouble hes about 9 or 10 i had box of misc spare fuses dumped on my bench he picked up a 30 amp cooper and asked what it was i told him its a fuse then he grabbed a 200 amp 600 volt "littlefuse "
and asked the same again my response was its a fuse , his response was how is this called a "littlefuse " ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"Littlefuse" is a brand name. Yeas ago they only sold... little fuses! They were focussed on the automotive fuse market. But at one point they entered the fray to go up againd Bussman (Cooper) and Shawmut (Ferraz).

So now in addition to little fuses, Littlefuse sell big fuses too.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
"Littlefuse" is a brand name. Yeas ago they only sold... little fuses! They were focussed on the automotive fuse market. But at one point they entered the fray to go up againd Bussman (Cooper) and Shawmut (Ferraz).

So now in addition to little fuses, Littlefuse sell big fuses too.
Little Big Fuse!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
"Littlefuse" is a brand name.

Spelling is important.:slaphead:
little refers to size- I have no idea what Littel refers to.

From Littelfuse website:
"Since Edward V. Sundt founded Littelfuse in 1927, we've been driven by innovation. Sundt invented the first small, fast-acting protective fuse to prevent sensitive test meters from burning out."

Status
Not open for further replies.