rebar grounded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

On a new home, the footing was required to be bonded and a #4 bare copper wire was left laying near the service entrance location. The home is provided with a 200A meter main with a 2/0 copper SER service to the panel inside. Since the footing is grounded, don't I still have to run a #6 copper wire from the meter main to the ground rod? And is the rebar conductor connected under the same ground clamp?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is no way of telling if that #4 was installed as a egc, ie 20 of #4 in the footing as per art. 250.52(A)(3). If it were the case and you could connect that to the service then there would be no need for the ground rods.

It sounds like ithe #4 may have been clamped to the rebar. I am not sure whether that is an acceptable means of connection. If the #4 was just for the rebar then, I believe, you would need the ground rods.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Dennis Alwon said:
There is no way of telling if that #4 was installed as a egc, ie 20 of #4 in the footing as per art. 250.52(A)(3). If it were the case and you could connect that to the service then there would be no need for the ground rods.

It sounds like ithe #4 may have been clamped to the rebar. I am not sure whether that is an acceptable means of connection. If the #4 was just for the rebar then, I believe, you would need the ground rods.

We use clamps similar to the standard water pipe ground clamp that is listed for use with rebar & in concrete. Only about a dollar difference in price.

celtic

daver828 said:
On a new home, the footing was required to be bonded and a #4 bare copper wire was left ... don't I still have to run a #6 copper wire from the meter main to the ground rod?
Looking at this recent thread: Footing on an addition?
celtic said:
Are you saying the rebar could be used instead of the ground rods(250.52(A)(5) / 250.53(G) / 250.56 / 250.58 )(?
electricmanscott said:
The way I read it is you would have to use the rebar, and no rods are required.
infinity said:
I agree. For the same reason that you wouldn't have to use the CEE if the rebar were smaller than 1/2".
bphgravity said:
I agree with all the previous posts and would also require a new mono-slab / foundation with a code recognized CEE installed to be run to the new service.
ryan_618 said:
I also agree with the others. There is no exception in 250.50 for wood buildings.
Looks like there is NO need for the ground rods.

However, if the water supply is metal, that would then require the #6 connection:
250.50 Grounding Electrode System.
All grounding electrodes as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(6) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system. Where none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(7) shall be installed and used.
250.52(A)(1) is the water pipe.
250.52(A)(3) is the concrete-encased electrode (The rebar)

daver828 said:
And is the rebar conductor connected under the same ground clamp?

Citing 250.64(C)(3), I would say NO -the #4 and the #6 do not need to be under the same ground clamp, but rather on the same busbar (1/4" x 2").

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If the #4 GEC was clamped to the rebar ( 1/2" minimum) with a listed device, you would not need to supplement that with ground rods. You will however be required to use all electrodes present so if there is a copper water line that extends at least 10' underground, you will have to connect that to your GES.

daver828

water pipes

water pipes

The water pipes are not copper but rather the plastic (or composit). So grounding the water is not needed. So it sounds like the #4 from the footing goes to the meter main and no need for the ground rod? That would be fine given the house is sitting on rock, driving an 8' ground rod will be would be almost impossible. I may get it 12-18" down.

mayjong

daver828 said:
On a new home, the footing was required to be bonded and a #4 bare copper wire was left laying near the service entrance location. The home is provided with a 200A meter main with a 2/0 copper SER service to the panel inside. Since the footing is grounded, don't I still have to run a #6 copper wire from the meter main to the ground rod? And is the rebar conductor connected under the same ground clamp?
did anyone actually see the connection to the footing steel? not clear... if so, that is all that is needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.