receptacle fed from a dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBowden

I just ordered some LED under cabinet lights for a job and the dimmable drivers they have are "plug and play" style with a power cord to plug them in to a receptacle. I always thought it was a code violation to feed a receptacle from a dimmer switch due to the possibility of using the receptacle for something that shouldn't be on a dimmer.
Have I been wrong all these years?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think you are.

Dimmable receptacle outlets should have a specific configuration.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Lutron makes dimmable receptables & you would have to change the plug on the trany. Are you sure the transformer is dimmable. I don't think I have ever seen one that came with a cord and plug.

Lutron-CAR-15-HDTR-WH-2.jpg

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
I bought a house with a regular receptacle controlled by a dimmer. I don't know if I was more upset that my dip in the crockpot wasn't heating up properly and couldn't figure out why, or if it was because they did such a thing like this.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I just ordered some LED under cabinet lights for a job and the dimmable drivers they have are "plug and play" style with a power cord to plug them in to a receptacle.
Please clarify: Where is the dimming device? Do you plug the system into a standard receptacle, and is there a separate dimmer that is associated with the lighting components? Or do you plug the system into a receptacle that is itself controlled by a dimmer?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Please clarify: Where is the dimming device? Do you plug the system into a standard receptacle, and is there a separate dimmer that is associated with the lighting components? Or do you plug the system into a receptacle that is itself controlled by a dimmer?
From post #5, looks like they are calling for a standard LED line voltage dimmer. They do say its UL listed, but I'm wondering if that listing covers dimming using a receptacle and wall switch?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There was an article in the Sept. 2014 EC Magazine on this :

I hope I didn't mis-interpret the OP's question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think this will take you there

Dave I would call the number on that site and ask them how they propose to dim this trany with a standard receptacle. If you have to change the male end then you void the listing and if you dim it then you violate the nec.

All the units I get are direct wired if they are dimmable. I am surprised to see this unless it has that odd male cap on the end.

I just check the other images and it is a standard male end.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm guessing when the driver was submitted to UL is didn't have the cord. The manufacture/vendor added it later. Most items that have factory installed cords don't utilize 2-screw connectors to secure the cord.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my ever-so-humble opinion, a receptacle for lighting that is in an unusual location, such as inside or above a cabinet, can be a standard receptacle. When it can be taken for a GP receptacle, it should be clearly identified as not for general use or loads.

iwire64

406.15 requires receptacles controlled by dimmers to be a non-standard configuration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.