Receptacle for pump backyard fish pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

Is a backyard "decorative" or maybe "aesthetic" fish pond covered under Art 680?

Is it code compliant to install receptacles closer than 6 feet from the fish pond for the specific purpose of supplying pumps and ultraviolet lights for the operation of the fish pond?

thank you

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Is a backyard "decorative" or maybe "aesthetic" fish pond covered under Art 680?

Is it code compliant to install receptacles closer than 6 feet from the fish pond for the specific purpose of supplying pumps and ultraviolet lights for the operation of the fish pond?

thank you
Article 682 may be a better fit for a pond.

realolman

this is a thing about 10-12 feet long and 6-7 feet wide... maybe 2 feet deep at most... made with a waterproof membrane...it's for some goldfish or a few koi... I got the idea that it fit better in 680... as in 680.1 "decorative pool" or 680.2 ... not intended for swimming or wading.

At any rate it has a factory made "basin" or "sump" connected to one end, that contains a submersible pump and an ultraviolet light ... I would like to know if it is code compliant to put a receptacle right beside that basin to operate the pump ... it seems kind dumb to put a receptacle 6' away and then run the pump cord to that ( across the ground?) 680.21 allows for motors to be cord and plug connected with a maximum cord length of 3 '...

I can't see anything restricting the placement of receptacles in 682 except the datum plane 12" above the highest level of water... I like that better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.