Receptacle ground loop impedance testing in an outpatient surgery center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilwei

I have a long time client that has requested our electrical company to test all receptacles in their outpatient surgery center as per NFPA 99 2002 edition 4.3.2.2.8 health care facilities. They need this testing and documentation for recertification of the outpatient surgery center as required by the state of Texas to retain their license. This is the first time they have ask our company to perform the testing. It is my understanding they have a maintenance person that has done the testing previously. I was told he used a plug in tester with idiot lights that tested for polarity and bootleg grounds. As per my limited knowledge, these plug in testers are not always correct or reliable. So I have hit the internet to find test equipment that is made for this particular application. I found a Fluke 1651B Electrical Installation Testing, which seemed right for the job. However, after talking to a fluke representative, I was informed that it was not for use in the USA because it was not UL listed nor recognized by any USA testing agency. It is widely used in European countries. So off I go again and found a company named Hampden Engineering Corporation. After reading the specifications on their model #MVO-60HZ-IT with impedance tester option, it seems I have found what I need. My reason for the long intro is because I need to have a warm fuzzy feeling about doing this job. My reputation, Master’s Electrical license and the liability implications are at stake. I am looking for input from any knowledgeable, experienced person(s) that is willing to give me pointers, suggestions or tell me to run the other way. I will try to attach the forms I am required to use for documentation of these tests. Also, I will try to attach the specifications for the MVO tester.

Please tell me how to attach documents.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Please tell me how to attach documents.
On the Post Reply page, click either the paper-clip-over-left-side-of-paper-icon button in the toolbar or down below in the Additional Options section, click the Manage Attachments button...

FWIW, document sizes are very limited, and at times uploading is "buggy".

I usually upload docs to my Google Drive, set up share with those that have the link, and paste link here. There are other similar means: Microsoft's OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.

bilwei

Attachments

Attachments

Hopefully the attachments will show up here we go

Attachments

• NFPA pg 2.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 14
  • 553G, -1F - MVO-1-PB, MVO-60HZ-IT.pdf
    137 KB · Views: 13

bilwei

NFPA 99 test requirements

NFPA 99 test requirements

RE: Ground testing report based upon NFPA 99

We must provide written documentation of the test results (noted below) for each receptacle as requested by Texas licensing agent.

Z(ohms)
E(mv)
Visual Inspection for damage
Continuity
Polarity
Retention Force

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is probably best to hire this out to a testing company. SQ D (for one) can do this for you.

If you go to the Appendixes in NFPA 99 you will see the apparatus that is required for this testing.

We use a Fluke 175 Safety Analyzer, (which is now obsolete) and have to have it calibrated yearly at a cost of $160.00. If you are not going to be doing this regularly the equipment may not be worth it.

If Isolation Panels are in the mix there is more equipment and test that need to be included.

Roger

bilwei

Tony S

Tony S

The meter shown is ground integrity which is a low resistance test.

Ground loop impedance testing is a live impulse test that checks back to the source of the supply, the transformer.

There is an option to add an impedance tester. Look on page two. Let me know if that option will work.

bilwei

bilwei

bilwei

It is probably best to hire this out to a testing company. SQ D (for one) can do this for you.

If you go to the Appendixes in NFPA 99 you will see the apparatus that is required for this testing.

We use a Fluke 175 Safety Analyzer, (which is now obsolete) and have to have it calibrated yearly at a cost of $160.00. If you are not going to be doing this regularly the equipment may not be worth it.

If Isolation Panels are in the mix there is more equipment and test that need to be included.

Roger

Roger
What surprises me, there isn't much information nor does it seem to be a common practice around this area, or I have my head in the sand. I will contact Square D. They have a much bigger pocket book than I do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger
What surprises me, there isn't much information nor does it seem to be a common practice around this area, or I have my head in the sand. I will contact Square D. They have a much bigger pocket book than I do.

I not sure why it's not done in some areas, I assume it's because they just aren't aware of the requirements in NFPA 99. Here in NC we have always had to do it as part of commissioning a Patient Room. Although the yearly testing can fall through the cracks at times, when DHSR (NC's Regulatory agency over Healthcare facilities) or JAHCO is making a visit, it gets done then.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.