Receptacle height over a kitchen counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

An architect just asked me if there was a minimum height above a kitchen counter at which receptacles must be mounted. He wishes to have these 2 to 3 inches above the counter and was wondering if I was concerned about the increased risk of having spills spash into the receptacles.

I don't know of any code prohibiting this installation. Do any of you?

Thanks,

Mike

bsh

2 or 3 inches should be fine. Just don't put them flush in the couter top. See NEC 210.52 (C)

Mike03a3

No code against putting them that low over the counter. However, I'd suggest you get a required AFF height in writing unless you are going to be installing them over an existing counter.

Aiming for as low as 2" over a counter would interfere with most backsplashes, unless he wants them in the backsplash. If they do interfere, the AFF requirement will help clarify that you aren't financing the relocation of the boxes.

Kessler4130

I usually go 45" unless otherwise noted, I always mark the first one then make a control line from that about 5 inches down, if they tile the wall and you measured off an unlevel floor it will be more than noticable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Kessler4130 said:
I usually go 45" unless otherwise noted, I always mark the first one then make a control line from that about 5 inches down, if they tile the wall and you measured off an unlevel floor it will be more than noticable.
I generally measure down from the top plate.

allenwayne

LarryFine said:
I generally measure down from the top plate.

That`s assuming the entire house is level.I once saw a home high line one mind you.That was 2 ins off from end to end.The block masons followed the slab and so did the framers and all other trades,but the tile setter used a level.By the time he reached the other side of the house where the french doors were he was almost 3 ins above the threshold.Cabinet installers level the cabinets regardless of what the slab or floor looks like.I like to use a laser level in a kitchen.That way I can say.Hey my install is level I don`t know about anyone elses.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the backsplash is going to be tiled, we always use a laser level. Nothing looks worse than crooked receptacles adjacent to a bunch of horizontal grout joints.

JohnJ0906

I just layed out a kitchen, and I used a laser level. I don't know if it will be tiled, but I agree, tile will show the slightest difference in height.

Standard counter top is 36" AFF. If you want them in the back splash you make the boxes 38" to center AFF. Standard backsplash is 4"". If you want them above the backsplash you make the boxes 42" (or more) to center AFF. Usually if the receptacles are in the backsplash you make them horizontal. If the floors haven't been tiled yet you might want to add a 1/4" to above measurements. And it's always good to check with the cabinet installer to verify the dimensions.

allenwayne

If the receptacles are to be in a backsplash I never intall a box on rough in.2 ft stubs and an old work box on trim out.Otherwise The laser level is the greastest thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.