Receptacle Heights

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
48" top of box

Ron
Only problem came across when doing a flat measurement from floor in kitchen or bath on a remodel is sloped floors. Didn't consider that once and after counters were added one end receptacle was 4" above other end 2", needless to say customer wasn't happy and had to fix. Best option I found is to find highest point of floor and take measurement from there and laser across from that. One old farmhouse was so off that even that didn't make it look good from across the room and looking at other ones around the room. GC probably should have attempted to level the building or floor before doing over the kitchen.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I've tried to figure out the best height but something gets in the way and they aren't ever the same.
Oversized windows with outlet under has to be lower than a hammer height.
Kitchen wall behind countertop, try to make 100% sure it's level. Nothing worse than having a tile backsplash with outlets that aren't level across the grout lines.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For the kitchen counter I like the receptacle to be centered between the countertop and the upper cabinets. We use a benchmark above the finished floor and a laser.