receptacle in garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Hi guys , Putting a receptacle in a residential garage near the side door for 120v/20a equipment to raise a medical lift chair. The outlet will be located 24 inches above the floor and a (required) single receptacle will be installed for the equipment that will remain plugged in at all times. With-in 4 feet on an adjacent wall is a GFI convience receptacle for normal use approx. 48" above the floor. Does the single recept need to be a GFI ? The Insurance Co. and Mfgr. are requiring a single recept.

Thanks for the feedback,
Mike Romeo MI. :roll:

charlie tuna

Re: receptacle in garage

both the nec and common sense prevals here.
article 210-8A-exception (2) allows the single receptacle not to be gfic protected provided there is other gfic receptacles available for normal use!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

might require a slight stretch of the definition of appliance..but, for whats its worth, I would also accept it in my jurisdiction (TN)

jimwalker

I can't see any thing it violates.My concern with non gfci receptacles is what happens when the freezer,2nd frig,sprinkler or in this case a med chair are no longer there,such as when it gets sold.But that is beyond our control.

physis

It at least sounds like a clear cut case for 210.8(A)(2) Ex. 2

No GFI required.

mjc

Thanks again guys ,
should of just read the 210.8 a little farther ,yes it does sound like a clear cut case of acceptance.

Mike-- Romeo, Mi

allenwayne

You also have to make sure there have been no local addendums ;) Pasco county Florida under 02 issued addendums to the NEC and took affect 1/1/05 :roll:
One change addressed this very issue.All single non gfci receptacles in a garage that do not have the appliancee in place at the time of a final inspection will have gfci protection :mad: This is one of the dumbest things i have heard of in many years.
H/O`r pays for a freezer receptacle and because the freezer isn`t there at final we have to supply an addition gfci device :confused:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I'm sure you have already considered this, but you could install a GFCI breaker and single receptacle and get the best of both worlds. Obviously adds about $20, but might avoid a hassle.

Mark

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If you remove the unnecessary GFCI breaker or receptacle after inspection, I won't tell.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I thought this was going to be a GFCI on a single 20 amp circuit to a dedicated recpt. for this lift. Why would the freezer be on this circuit?

Mark

allenwayne

Originally posted by charlie tuna:
both the nec and common sense prevals here.
article 210-8A-exception (2) allows the single receptacle not to be gfic protected provided there is other gfic receptacles available for normal use!!
This is the very reason I added to this thread.A dedicated recep. needs no gfci protection as long as there are at least one other recep. that is gfci protected.Prior to this idiotic change we were being required to label all single devices FOR APPLIANCE USE ONLY.
Like Jim said when the gfci trips and mr/mrs. H/O`R has a pile of rotten meat that they bought to save a few hard earned bucks they will be pissed off.As far as changing it to a single device after insp. that would be on the h/o`r
Who here would risk their EC license to do this and would you do it for free :D Now we add gfci receps in garages all day long what ever is in the extras we bill and get paid for .But when the contract specifically calls for a freezer recep,a golf charer recep. la la la la la.This means to me.maybe I am just stupid but that is what they intend to place and use it for.When the central vacum guys are behind and their unit is not in place but there are 2 pieces if pipe coming out of the ceiling and LV control wire hanging we still have to use a gfci device :mad: On a small scale 1,2,3 maybe 4 a year but when you have to supply FOR FREE maybe 400 gfci devices or more.Well that kills the bottom line :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.