Receptacle location above grade in Hazardous Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME1

Can someone tell me if there is a specific height a Receptacle has to mounted in a hazardous Location? I have looked and am unable to find anything.

Thanks for the assist!

ME1

Receptacles

Receptacles

Thanks! I did find a reference in 517.60(A)(1). It isn't the exact one I need but it's does have a height attached to it.

renosteinke

receptacle above grade in hazardous location

receptacle above grade in hazardous location

Hazardous locations require more than a "cookbook" approach to electrical work. This is because of the thought you must put into the simplest decisions.

Not all hazardous locations are the same. Even where the Division, Class, and Group may be the same- the actual chemical causing the danger will have different properties.
For example, Natural Gas rises; propane sinks. So, if natural gas is your concern, there is a "classified" area near the ceiling- while for propane, it is near the floor.

Ventilation is also an issue; this is why most areas within an auto service shop are not considered "classified" locations. That's why receptacles are placed above 18" .... and the lights over the gas pumps above 12 ft.

ME1

Haz measurements

Haz measurements

Thanks renosteinke, but where did you get those measurements? The area I'm looking at has a heavy fuels type mixture so the lower level (18") you used is of interest.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: receptacle above grade in hazardous location

Re: receptacle above grade in hazardous location

hardworkingstiff said:
renosteinke said:
... and the lights over the gas pumps above 12 ft.

I thought that was just so trucks wouldn't hit them.

i think that is where the extent of the classified area stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.