Receptacle N.E.C. Diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello,

I wanted to ask if there is a diversity factor for receptacles per N.E.C. code ? The reason being is that I am reviewing some panel schedules and I noticed that the connected load for the panel is 286.48 and it was multiplied by a 'N.E.C.' Diversity factor in which led to the design load of 148.24. It seems to me that the connected load was multiplied by a factor between 50% and 55%. I'm not quite sure exactly what was used to get a design load of 148.24.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There are a number of demand factors used in the load calculations. See Article 220 in the NEC. I don't believe the NEC uses the term "diversity" in any actual code rule.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did read up on the NEC and article 220 like you said. It did give me what I needed. Specifically article 220.44 - Receptacles Load - Other than dwelling unit, I ended up taking the 286.48KVA and subtracting 10KVA, multiplying it by 50% then adding 10KVA to get that 'design load' of 148.24KVA. Correct me if I'm wrong in my method.

Thank you !

topgone

I did read up on the NEC and article 220 like you said. It did give me what I needed. Specifically article 220.44 - Receptacles Load - Other than dwelling unit, I ended up taking the 286.48KVA and subtracting 10KVA, multiplying it by 50% then adding 10KVA to get that 'design load' of 148.24KVA. Correct me if I'm wrong in my method.

Thank you !
That calculation is for non-residential installs. The residential calculation uses the formula: deduct 3 kVA from the total receptacle load and then multiply the remaining amount by 35%. You didn't tell us what kind of project you are doing, so maybe you're right, just maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.