Receptacle near Gas Meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't see any NEC restriction on installing a receptacle next to a gas meter. Does anyone else know of any restrictions from gas companies?

Thanks for any help.

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer
Gas meters must be located at least 3 feet away from an electric meter or other service equipment. I would think it is safe practice to also assume that a receptacle should maintain this clearance because plugging in any equipment could create an arc. But I dont know of any NEC restrictions.

MAC702

Gas meters must be located at least 3 feet away from an electric meter or other service equipment. I would think it is safe practice to also assume that a receptacle should maintain this clearance because plugging in any equipment could create an arc. But I dont know of any NEC restrictions.

Service equipment usually has some kind of automatic disconnecting means that might produce that arc. A receptacle or standard switch doesn't have arc potential unless its change of state is done deliberately. Normally.

kwired

Electron manager
Gas meters don't ordinarily create a hazardous condition. Often there is a regulator in the vicinity of a gas meter, regulators can at times vent off some gas. Any rules against electrical equipment in the vicinity are either gas company policy or gas codes issues and not something addressed in NEC. If it is something that would normally have gas vapors present on the outside of piping/vessels, then you need to read up on the NEC 50x articles that may apply.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A coworker found a gas code website with same info, 3 feet. So we are using that rule from now on. Thanks all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.