Receptacle permitted within 10' area at pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Hi:
I'm from New York State which means that the '99 NEC is in effect. We'll more than likely skip over the 2002 and go with the 2005 early in 2006, but let me pose this question regarding 210.52(e) (1999) that requires a receptacle outlet at the front and back of a 1 family dwelling. The issue is when there are zero-lot line properties having small yards where the homeowners have installed swimming pools. The 2002 NEC was amended at 680-22(A)(4) to permit a receptacle within the 10' restricted space. Actually it was reduced to be permitted not closer than 5' from the edge of the pool. I understand that the HO wants to have his radio plugged in, but I think of those outdoor floor-style fixtures with the six-foot cords and how easy it would be for such a fixture to reach the pool when/if tipping over.
Was the reasoning behind permitting this receptacle good clear, sound judgement? I am wary of this allowance. Any thoughts one way or the other? Would it not have been a little wiser to restrict the receptacle to say, 7 feet?

benaround

Re: Receptacle permitted within 10' area at pool

Sometimes you have to draw the line,7 feet would be good but they make those lights even taller and it still would reach? I agree with your reasoning but it beats HO from using extention cords.

bphgravity

Re: Receptacle permitted within 10' area at pool

I find it very hard to believe that "the dimensions of the lot preclude meeting the required clearances" can ever be justified to the building department. My jurisdiction has very tough zoning requirements and we are the third largest city in terms of land area in the state of Florida. I have yet to see a pool installed that resulted in restricted space for receptacle installation due to these tough zoning laws, and I see alot of pools. Every 3 houses permitted will have a pool here and we are permitting around 400 homes a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.